Making the Most Out of a Night at Halloween Horror Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When fall rolls around, there is one event that just gets everybody talking, whether or not being scared to tears is your cup of tea. Halloween Horror Nights, which started out in 1991 as Fright Nights, began its 27th year in action on September 15th, 2017. If you’ve been living under a rock every single fall, Halloween Horror Nights (known to the locals as HHN) brings together scare zones, amazing shows, and the best haunted houses around for an event which is simply unparalleled. While I highly recommend the Frequent Fear passes for those who are lucky enough to live in the area, there are those of you who, for whatever reason, will only be able to go once the entire season. Although I hate jump scares (and chainsaws and clowns and demons, oh my!) I am one of those lucky souls who has purchased a Frequent Fear Pass ($103 for 21 nights is truly a steal), so here are my tips on how to do as many houses and scare zones as possible.

1. Start at the back! – Upon entering HHN, normal folks will run into the first house that they see (this year it is American Horror Story, The Shining, and Saw). DO NOT DO THIS. Walk as far back into the park as possible and you will find that those houses will usually have lower wait times at the start of the night (these houses are The Horrors of Blumhouse, Hive, and Scarecrow the Reaping).
  2. Academy of Villains is SO worth it! – Academy of Villains made their HHN debut in 2016 with their House of Fear show. To sum up their awesomeness, AOV is a dance crew with a specialization in wicked productions and amazing song choices. (FYI, Hurricane Irma damaged their primary stage so for now they are doing a very much scaled down show on a smaller stage, but their original show Afterlife will be back very soon).
  3. STAY HYDRATED AND FED. PLEASE. – While it may seem like a good idea to skip dinner for the sake of time, trust me, it’s not. HHN is a LOT of walking, and you’re going to need to be well hydrated and well fed. Here is an insider tip on staying hydrated while balling on a budget: sit-down restaurants will always give you a free cup of water if you just go up to the register and ask (this includes Monster Café, Mel’s Drive In, and Louie’s Italian Restaurant).
  4. Wear comfortable shoes. Please.  – I repeat, HHN is a lot of walking (to give you an idea of just how much walking, I beat my steps goal for the day in two hours of being there). While it may seem convincing to wear heels or cute strappy sandals, your feet will thank me later. Your athletic shoe of choice will definitely be a better option.
  5. Download the Universal Studios Orlando app. – This app has a plethora of tools for having the best night at HHN possible. Starting from when you arrive, this app has an option to key in your parking location. DO THIS. Universal has two parking structures with a lot of floors, it’s very easy to lose track of where you parked. Even if you think you’ll remember, just write it down. The app also shows you wait times for all the houses, which can help you plan your night accordingly. Check it often and adjust your plans if necessary.
  6. Do all the Scare Zones. – If you didn’t already know, a Scare Zone is basically an area that you walk through, which is themed to a tee, complete with scare actors and sets. Even if you aren’t inside an actual house, you aren’t exempt from being terrorized. Just to give you a small taste, one of these Scare Zones includes clowns. With chainsaws. As if a clown wasn’t scary enough. A few other Scare Zones are The Purge, Trick ‘R Treat, and Invasion!
  7. Don’t stop for a picture every five seconds. – If you’re reading this, you probably want to get the most bang for your buck. Take a picture for your Snap story and Instagram, and then try to fight the urge to whip out your phone every time you see a photo op. Pictures are very time consuming, and are a sure-fire way to waste the night away. While it may seem fun to take a selfie with a chainsaw-wielding clown, most of these pictures will turn out blurry or too dark and will need to be deleted anyway. Just enjoy the experience!

For your convenience, here is a map of all the houses, scare zones, and shows. And here is where you can purchase tickets.

1st Photo: Personal Photo Courtesy of Alex Ellington Photography 

Image Source: 2 

I am currently a senior at my beloved University of Central Florida! I am majoring in early childhood education, and I hope to one day teach kindergarten. I also hope to start a blog about my teaching shenanigans down the road. For now, I spend my days reading, exploring the theme parks, and enjoying all that my city beautiful has to offer! I love dogs, The Office, and long walks on the beach.
UCF Contributor