Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Love in Quarantine: A New Level of Bonding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Right after spring break ended, the most exciting part for me was getting back to campus to see my friends and my love. My relationship with my wonderful girlfriend has been one like no other, as we have taught each other a lot, both before and during this quarantine experience. Learning a lot about each other and becoming accustomed to our similar — but separate — cultures, we formed a bond. But recently, I went home, seeing it might be our worst month yet of the pandemic. However, as I count down the days until I’ll be able to see her again, I wonder what will come of our relationship during these times. 

Currently, I’m back at my family’s home, and I’m already counting down the days to when I can go back and see her. I’ve been taking this time to enjoy being with family, even though they are already driving me crazy, and working in the last couple of weeks left in this sad and drastic semester. I’ve been sleeping in my dad’s office because I haven’t lived at home for a while and don’t have a bed. The combination of a blow-up mattress and my dog have been an interesting experience, as well as Zoom University — which has been making my depression grow as the days go by.

locks on heart
Simon Matzinger
What keeps my spirits up during this time is my lovely dog companion Clara and my girlfriend Mary Kate. Texting, FaceTiming, and Zoom dates are a great way (and sadly, the only way) to keep in contact while social distancing. Other ways to express my emotions have been through writing and crafts, making things I may give to her down the road as well as allowing me an outlet to express my sadness. Communication is a big aspect — both good or bad. You want to keep a clear line of conversation in these times about how you’re feeling and what your fears are, because most likely, your partner will help you feel better about how you’re feeling. 

Looking forward to the future also helps the sad thoughts; thinking about what will happen when this is all over, and how will I grow with and without my partner during this time are both positive outlooks. Couples that get through hard times can really withstand it all, and this is one very hard time on the road for every couple. Distance in relationships is also good. There are positives from being separated from your partner for a certain amount of time because you begin to understand life without them and realize why you do want them in your life. 

This time shouldn’t be thought of as an apocalypse or the end of the world, but the beginning of a new way of life. With every new situation in life we evolve and adjust to what is thrown at us. The fear that your relationship may not work in the climate we currently face shouldn’t scare you. However, if you have these fears, talk to your partner and express your feelings. I’m sure they will be receptive to you if they really do love you. Stay safe and talk soon. 

Kila Lambertt is a current junior at the university of Central Florida, is going into her second year of being a member of Her Campus Community. She has loved growing her writing through this website and hopes to continue in writing as well as Performing Arts. She is a BFA Major for the Acting Track at UCF.