Life As A Crybaby: Why It’s Okay To Be Sensitive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Yes, I’m one of those girls who cries in LITERALLY every movie I watch. I’m one of the most emotional people I know. I will cry after reading a happy article about an elderly dog getting adopted. I will cry because I’m angry. And you know what? That is totally fine with me. Because when you feel everything so extremely, you also feel joy more than most people. I know how it feels to cry myself to sleep, so when I wake up with a smile on my face, it just means that much more.

I can empathize with just about anyone. This means people frequently turn to me for advice, because they know I can see things from their point of view.

Another perk of being sensitive is that I know what I need and when. I know how to cheer myself up when I get down. I know how to take care of myself. Because of this, I can help take care of my friends.

I am very intuitive. I can read other people extremely well when it comes to their emotions. I can pick up when someone is upset or uncomfortable, because I sympathize with them.

You may be that sensitive person too if:

• You are frequently asked “WHY are you crying?”
  • People will often tell you “you’re being a little dramatic”
  • You can make yourself cry on command
  • You love to read those sappy articles online
  • You find yourself welling up over a dog walking past you

AND THAT IS TOTALLY FINE.

People are going to judge you when you’re walking out of a comedy film with tears running down your face. Because that’s what people DO.

So, stop apologizing for the way you feel. Don’t hold it in when something upsets you. Embrace those emotions that run wild in your heart.

Yes, I am sensitive. But I will never apologize for that. When you know what sadness really feels like, you can truly experience joy. And that is a beautiful thing. 

Images: 2 

I am currently a senior at my beloved University of Central Florida! I am majoring in early childhood education, and I hope to one day teach kindergarten. I also hope to start a blog about my teaching shenanigans down the road. For now, I spend my days reading, exploring the theme parks, and enjoying all that my city beautiful has to offer! I love dogs, The Office, and long walks on the beach.
UCF Contributor