Studying?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Studying?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Keys to Success: How to Unlock Your Internship Potential

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We are pleased to offer you an internship with….” Congrats! If you’ve seen this before, then you know that what lies ahead of you is an exciting journey in both your personal and professional career. A new internship can come with mixed feelings — excitement, nervousness, anticipation — all of which make this journey even more special. Whether this is your first or your fifth internship, here are some tips to help you succeed and surpass your employer’s expectations, while also making the most of your experience!

Take Notes & Actively Listen 

As with any new job, it’s extremely important to put your best foot forward and show the employer that hired you why you were the right choice. The first few days, or even weeks, are always filled with training (that will give you a glimpse into what is expected of you), goals and objectives and detailed information on the project you will be working on. Throughout this, one of the best ways to remember all the information that will be thrown at you is by taking notes while also actively listening. By taking notes, you ensure that you are not only engaged but will also put you at an advantage because you can refer to them when you need to (especially if the information is only said once).

Ask Questions

One of the best ways to show that you are engaged and ready to learn is to ask questions. Never be afraid to ask clarifying questions if you don’t understand something (because being cautious is better than being wrong). Additionally, asking questions that are inquisitive shows that you are still paying attention, but more importantly that you are curious. Questions also give you the opportunity to branch out and speak to others outside of your team, or even your department, and start making connections that can be very beneficial post-internship.

Get Involved 

Just like school, there are so many ways to get involved in your workplace! It can be very daunting as an intern to try and branch out and get involved outside of working on your own project, but it will allow you to grow more than you can imagine. Make it your goal to find training, a certification class or even a volunteer event that piques your interest or is outside your comfort zone, and go for it! You can even go a step further, exercise your initiative skills, and start your own volunteer or group event.

There is no better way to gain real-life experience than an internship! While it can be nerve-wracking to put on your big girl pants, take each step with pride and follow these essential tips to thrive as an intern. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, learn and laugh in the process and don’t forget to show the world what you’ve got!

Images: 123

Manisha is currently a student at the University of Central Florida studying finance. She loves all things sweet and artsy. If she's not stuffing her face with the colorful ice cream or drawing pictures of her cat, then she's probably reading all things astrology or singing her heart away to all of her favorite R&B artists. Her dream is to be a CEO and have her own beauty brand focusing on natural, clean products that will transform the beauty industry!
UCF Contributor