Jenny Han’s ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ Trilogy Is Coming To a TV Near You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

By now, it’s truly no secret that author Jenny Han and her To All the Boys trilogy took the world by storm with its heart-warming and ever-so-romantic movie adaptations. Bustle shared that the first movie, titled To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, was one of Netflix’s “most viewed original films ever with strong repeat viewing” and has rightfully earned its spot on every “Best Romantic Comedies” list to ever exist. The second and third installments of the series were just as popular and awaited by fans, and Han has definitely proved herself to be an expert at writing captivating and swoon-worthy rom-coms. 

And lucky for us, with the release of the third and final movie of the To All the Boys trilogy last week, Han took to Instagram to share some highly anticipated news: she is not yet done with her book-to-screen adaptations. 

Before there were the To All the Boys novels, Han released her very first YA fiction trilogy beginning in 2009, with the first installment titled The Summer I Turned Pretty. The second installment is titled It’s Not Summer Without You (2010) and the third installment is titled We’ll Always Have Summer (2011). And let me assure you that these novels, in my own humble opinion, are even more enthralling than Han’s To All the Boys series. And yes, I didn’t even think this was possible to accomplish, but it is and has been, and it’s all happening within Han’s vibrant world of The Summer I Turned Pretty series. 

So now you may be wondering, what is this highly anticipated news you speak of? 

Well, buckle up and prepare for the most swoon-worthy ride of your life, because Han’s The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy will be coming to a TV near you. 

And while the details of this news are still pretty slim, here is what we do know so far.

Variety has reported that Amazon Studios greenlit the upcoming series for an eight-episode run and that Jenny Han herself wrote the pilot episode, making this her first TV writing credit. She will also serve as executive producer alongside Gabrielle Stanton, whose past credits include Grey’s AnatomyThe Flash and Arrow.

And for those who aren’t familiar with the trilogies plot and storyline, Variety has described the books as “a multigenerational drama that hinges on a love triangle between one girl and two brothers, the ever-evolving relationship between mothers and their children, and the enduring power of strong female friendship. It is a coming-of-age story about first love, first heartbreak, and the magic of that one perfect summer.”

Sadly, the cast and release date have yet to be announced, but Han herself has hinted that the series may be coming quicker than we think. So until we learn more about Han’s highly anticipated series, there’s one thing I know for sure as someone who’s read the books firsthand: be prepared to swoon, get your popcorn ready, and don’t be surprised if you find yourself falling for Han’s dreamy characters and immersive worldbuilding yourself. It’s truly just too good to not feel a little flutter in your chest, and with this series set in summer at the beach, I promise you, you will not be let down. 

Let the romance commence!

couple watching sunset
Photo by Khamkéo Vilaysing from Unsplash

Anna Capuano is a writer studying English with a concentration in Creative Writing and a minor in Mass Culture and Collective Behavior. She is passionate about storytelling, inclusivity, traveling any chance she gets, and perfecting every Spotify playlist she creates. Her hope for the future is to inspire upcoming generations through brilliant literature, and to publish her own Young Adult literature all while keeping love at the forefront of it all.
UCF Contributor