nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Invest In Yourself, Not Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Investing in yourself isn’t only about buying yourself some expensive shoes you definitely deserve for passing your final or treating yourself to iced coffee. Investing in yourself is so much more than that, and it could ultimately change your life for the better. 

For me, that was always art. There wasn’t a time in my life where I wasn’t drawing or expressing myself visually. I’ve always considered art a hobby but nothing more. As I grew older, I started to draw less because I knew it was just that: a hobby. I decided to continue pursuing art on the side because it was something that I kept close to my heart. When I got my paychecks every Tuesday, I bought more colored pencils and more markers and felt like a child excited to open my new set of supplies.

Investing in yourself means taking the time to figure out your hobbies. Pausing for a moment to recognize when and where you feel your most honest self.

Without realizing it, I always made time for my art, even on days where I felt suffocated by my schoolwork and responsibilities. Doing so allowed me to stop and feel my emotions in the present moment. It allowed me to become more aware of my wants and needs and understand that I needed a creative space. Although art is just a hobby to me, it manifested into something more. It is my essence and I find it difficult to describe my life without it.

Fears hold many of us back from buying things we know we shouldn’t spend our money on. But its more than just spending the money; it’s about spending the money on the potential of own self. It’s about learning about yourself and being your multi-faceted self without feeling guilty.

So maybe you’re scared to invest real time and money into a hobby because you feel it won’t get you anywhere. Think about it this way: taking the time to delve into the things that you genuinely enjoy doing is a guide for the way that you should be living. And you never know where it can take you.

So if you’re the type of person who can’t live without doing yoga in the morning, or you love baking: invest in yourself.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Eileen is a sophomore studying Social Sciences at the University of Central Florida. She's a lover of art and all it's strangest forms. Living in her multi-colored world, she finds solace in her writing, photography, and drawing. She is constantly redecorating her room to make it even more colorful and watching Ted Talks throughout the day. If you wish to see the world through her eyes follow her instagram @eileenzelaya !
UCF Contributor