This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Loving yourself and singing about it has become the newest trend in social media, with the hopes of becoming a permanent thing. I’ve struggled with self-love for many years, but I’ve found that music helps give me that added boost of love and serotonin when playing the right songs. With that said, I’ve created a list of six songs that help boost my love toward myself when I need that extra push.

So, buckle up and get ready to love yourself!

‘Love Myself’ by Hailee Steinfeld (2016)

A playlist about loving yourself would never be complete without the iconic “Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld. This song seems to be the kickoff of everyone trying to start loving themselves more after realizing they didn’t need someone else to “make themselves cry their own name.” Though the song seems to have a lot more of a sexual take, it’s not hard to sing this song at the top of your lungs and feel happy.

Favorite lyrics: Can’t help myself, no, I don’t need anybody else. Anytime, day or night – I love me!

‘Soulmate’ by Lizzo (2019)

Lizzo proves love for herself in “Soulmate,” where she sings about being her old soulmate after realizing that she loved herself more than the failed relationships. Everything about Lizzo makes me feel happy and proud of myself, so having her second on the list is essential. Lizzo’s whole brand and being is about loving herself despite all the nasty people that try to tear her down. Can we talk about how talented and gorgeous she is? Like, her vocals have to be a gift from the heavens!

Favorite lyrics: True love ain’t something you can buy yourself; True love finally happens when you by yourself. So, if you by yourself, then go and buy yourself another round from the bottle on the higher shelf.

‘Who You Are’ by Jessie J (2011)

I was introduced to this song many years again when I first began struggling with loving myself and was trying so hard to find who I was. In this goosebump-raising and emotional song, Jessie J sings about loving yourself for who you are and not trying to fit in with everything going on. She definitely knows how to evoke emotion with such a powerful song while also keeping you along for the ride. “Who You Are” is one of her most powerful songs that, in my opinion, deserved a lot more praise for the song itself instead of just her vocals.

Jessie writes a lot of songs that I feel add to the whole movement of loving yourself. She’s faced her own set of trolls and yet she’s able to come out with masterpieces that help raise serotonin.

Favorite lyrics: Sometimes it’s hard to follow your heart, but tears don’t mean you’re losing. Everybody’s bruising. There’s nothing wrong with who you are.

‘Confident’ by Demi Lovato (2015)

“Confident” by Demi Lovato is one of those badass self-love songs that make you just want to get up and kick someone’s ass for making you feel bad about yourself. Demi sings about asking “what’s wrong with being confident,” after many years of facing criticism and harsh comments by the world for many things she’s struggled with. As someone that struggles with my own demons, I appreciate the aggressiveness of wanting to be confident that this song portrays. It’s an instant mood raiser.

Demi’s out-of-this-world vocals help bring this song to life in a way that instantly has you on your feet. If there’s one thing she’s going to do, it’s sing her lungs out.

Favorite lyrics: I used to hold my freak back, now I’m letting go. I make my own choice. Bitch, I run this show.

‘god is a woman’ by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande gave us the chorus-filled, sex-powered anthem that is “god is a woman” without missing a mark. She used her words to fire back at those that criticized her for being ‘too promiscuous’ and ‘stupid.’ This song is a good way to make yourself feel powerful because you, as a woman, are strong enough without a partner in your life. Ariana sings how she can either give him all he wants or take it away.

If anyone asks, I’m here for Ariana basically telling a man he’ll be blessed if he’s on his best behavior.

Favorite lyrics: And I can be all the things you told me not to be. When you try to come for me, I keep on flourishing. And he see the universe when I’m the company; it’s all in me.

‘Strip’ by Little Mix featuring Sharaya J (2018)

Little Mix are known for releasing songs about loving yourself and hyping yourself up when others try to tear you down. It’s no surprise that “Strip” was added to the catalog, with the girls singing about how much they love themselves naked. It’s even more powerful to see the girls sitting together naked with harsh words that have been thrown at them painted all over their skin as the song reaches its climax.

These girls have been through their fair share of negativity in the music industry. Racism, fat-shaming, and everything in between. Yet here they stand in a feature with Sharaya J (who absolutely kills her rap verse) loving themselves and each other despite everything.

Favorite lyrics: Baby, I’m growing, my stretch-marks are sexy. I don’t owe you nothing. Nah, I don’t give a, no, not anymore.

Loving yourself is a long, frustrating, and tedious journey that can sometimes make you want to quit the process altogether. These songs have definitely been the start of my very slow process of learning to love who I am, no matter my weight or how I look. We’re all different, but we all have the same goal in life — to be loved and to love one’s self.

I’ve also created a Spotify playlist titled “I Love Me” with these six songs, along with other songs that help me whenever I need a quick boost of self-love. Check it out here as I continue to add songs.

love yourself written on a sidewalk
Photo by Michelle Bonkosky from Unsplash

TaTiana is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida on the way to receive a Bachelor's in English-Creative Writing and a minor in theater. She hopes to pursue a career as an author in the near future. TaTiana spends a lot of her time reading books or writing down new ideas to create her own stories, oftentimes turning to the internet to distract herself from said responsibilities. If she's not in her bedroom reading or writing, one can find her at one of the local theme parks or a winery with her friends. You can find her on Instagram @thisgirltatiana
UCF Contributor