I Listened to LILHUDDY’s Album So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you are anything like me, you spend most of your time on TikTok. This means that you’ve probably heard of TikToker Chase Hudson, a.k.a LILHUDDY. With 32.2 million followers, Hudson got his start as a member of the content creating “Hype House.” The Hype House, along with his e-boy looks, skyrocketed Hudson to fame. However, he has become more than just a TikToker. On September 17, Hudson released his debut album Teenage Heartbreak. On his Instagram, Hudson says that the album is inspired by “every relationship I have gone through in my life whether good or bad,” (Hi Charli!). While I am a LILHUDDY fan myself, I was not sure how his music career would pan out. His two singles off of the album “21st Century Vampire” and “The Eulogy of You and Me” were not insanely impressive. However, as a LILHUDDY fan, I listened to the TikToker’s debut album so you didn’t have to. Below are my reviews of each of the songs. 

The first track, “Teenage Heartbreak,” sets the tone of the whole album, which is intense teenage angst. I mean, “we go through Hell for Heaven’s sake”? The epitome of teen angst. This is the album that 15-year-old you would listen to and feel like you were emo. That being said, the song is insanely catchy.

Following “Teenage Heartbreak,” the album immediately hits a low with one of my favorites, “America’s Sweetheart.” While it’s placed oddly, you can tell it was an emotional song for Hudson to write. Also, the music video features Charli D’Amelio and has garnered over 13 million views. The song is very obviously about the TikTokers’ relationship, and how Hudson felt about the internet backlash with their breakup (I think they are secretly still dating, just me though).

After my favorite, we come to my least favorite, “IDC.” This song is probably the cringiest on the album, with lyrics such as “she wears her vans with a dress,” and “she’s cool, she’s hot, she’s pretty.” This is one of the least impressive songs lyrically on the album. Once again though, the song is catchy, and I can see 15-year-old me wanting a boy to talk about me this way (sigh).

After “IDC” comes “Partycrasher,” Hudson’s party anthem. Given the fact that he’s definitely been to crazier parties than I have, I’ll give him this one. The common themes of all of the songs of the album are seen in “Partycrasher.” They include “I’m young,” “I’m depressed,” and “I’m crazy!” — the teenage experience in a nutshell.

Now halfway through the album, we arrive at “Don’t Freak Out” which features iann dior, Tyson Ritter and Travis Barker. This song has more of a hip-hop beat as opposed to the rest of the pop-punk sound of the other songs. This song comes in the middle for me; there is nothing insanely special about it.

“No More – interlude” is one of the calmer songs of the album, along with “America’s Sweetheart.” This is the shortest song on the album, at only 1:49. This is the peak “I’m depressed, I hate love” feeling that I think we all know a little too well. It had me saying “yeah, me too man” — at least he’s relatable. 

I feel like “Lost Without You” is the sister song to “IDC.” Maybe I’m starting to look too deep into a TikToker’s album, but as I said with “No More – interlude,” the songs do have an element of relatability to them. I think it’s teen angst. 

I already gave my opinions on “The Eulogy of You and Me” as well as “21st Century Vampire,” so I will move on to the final song, “How it Ends.” This song chronicles an entire relationship from beginning to end. Hudson is the one left behind in this relationship, thinking of everything that happened. I think that this is my second favorite on the album. I enjoy the songs with a clear story. This song also shows more of Hudson’s vocal range, so it’s nice to hear that change.

Overall, I would give the album a 6/10. The four points deducted come from the lyrics and the fact that all of the songs start to sound the same the more that you listen to them. The six points come from the fact that all of the songs are insanely catchy, I love teen angst, and the music itself is very well done — the guitars and the drums especially. I know I said I listened to the album so you don’t have to, but if you choose to, don’t be ashamed. I’ll be right there with you.

Hi! I'm Amelia. I love literature, movies, theatre, art, and my lovely cat Fig. I look forward to speaking on all types of topics and sharing my views!