This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The season of Spotify Wrapped has arrived, as well as Apple Replay for the unfairly shamed Apple Music users. This means that your friends, peers and followers in between will be sharing their top songs, top artists and the types of music that have helped them survive the quarantine. However, this also means that the “music snobs” will be coming out to play, and you should be making sure you’re not one of them.

looking out window wearing headphones
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst/Shopify

To put it simply, a music snob is someone who constantly believes that their music taste is superior and perpetuates the idea that any music other than their own taste isn’t worth liking or listening to. There are certainly levels and degrees to the type of snob one can be, but at the end of the day, a snob is a snob. Now, think about your playlist — all the songs you love that get you through a rough day. If someone were to come around and negatively judge those songs, I’m sure it wouldn’t be the best feeling. Music is an extension of someone. It speaks to one’s personality and experiences, and a lot of times it’s not even that deep, but it’s just something that makes them feel good. So, why try and ruin that?

Spotify, phone, music, app
Nadine Shaabana / Unsplash

I get it. Finding an underground artist or band is something exciting, and it feels pretty cool to discover someone on their come up. But, if one day that “underground artist” you love was to hit the Top 40, does that automatically decrease their ability to be a great musician? I don’t think so. If something is popular, take a step back and think — it’s probably popular for a reason. It doesn’t make someone better or less than to not go with the crowd or to sing along to radio rotations. I think music and the consumption of it should simply be to enjoy what you enjoy and let other people do the same. Also, if someone is telling you not to post your Spotify Wrapped because they “don’t care,” post it. I care.

friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Erin Jones is a senior at the University of Central Florida, studying advertising and public relations. Her interests include writing and playing music, film, and fashion.
UCF Contributor