Hello February: What To Do With Your 2021 Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Month one of 2021 is officially done! There are still 11 more to go, but what about those resolutions we set at the beginning? Honestly, if the only resolution you completed in 2020 was to survive, that’s something to be incredibly proud of. Even if last year left you so burnt out that you couldn’t set any new resolutions, that’s fine too! As much as we want to pack up and leave everything from 2020 behind, a lot of it is still lingering around, and if all we do this year is survive again, we can be proud of that too. However, we’re deserving of more: to recharge and rest, to give ourselves sunlight and movement, and to let our minds and creativity fly. Here are some ways to redefine your New Year’s resolutions and give yourself a better chance at a good year.

Organize Your Goals

Don’t get me wrong — journaling isn’t something that comes easy to me, and I can’t claim I’m any better now than I was one, maybe two, or even five years ago. However, even just writing a list on your phone or laptop can make a big difference in your life for remembering your aspirations. Even something as simple as a vision board can help solidify what you want for yourself by the end of the year and going forward. You don’t need to use words to organize your resolutions, but they can allow you to better understand your goals. It’s okay if you haven’t even started your resolutions yet, either; resolutions are allowed to be redefined and updated as your life changes.

Simplify Your Goals

Once you have a general idea of what you want for yourself by the end of 2021, make sure you don’t overcomplicate your goals so that they overwhelm or burden you. It’s very unlikely for you to add 12 new habits into your life without them conflicting with one another. Your energy would be spent on adding these habits to your daily routine, rather than enjoying the qualities they bring. If you try to juggle everything at once, you’re more likely to drop everything rather than just one ball out of the bunch. 

It’s easier to adjust little by little. You can choose which habit you want to dedicate your time to for a week and stay consistent with it, adding a new habit when you’re ready. For example, if your goal is to work out more this year, try adding 20 minutes of movement rather than trying to go to a gym for two hours every day, five days a week. You’re more likely to stay consistent with the first option. Remember the point of setting the goal in the first place. On that note…

Don’t Forget Why You Set Your Resolutions

The reason why we make resolutions and set these goals is to enrich our lives and improve our state of being. It might be to improve our mental or physical health, to help us add skills to our life, to better our social network or enhance our career and finances, or just to be kinder to ourselves and the world around us. Regardless of what the motive behind the resolution is, it’s to add quality to our lives, not take it away.

If you find yourself struggling to maintain a goal or feel burdened by the addition of this habit into your life, you’re allowed to let it go. Whether you start something else entirely or choose to rest until you’re ready, plans can always be adjusted. If you don’t meet a goal, that should be seen as room for improvement, not punishment. So, be willing to forgive yourself for the moments you wished were handled differently. Instead, focus on how you can improve your own experience and time with yourself as you continue to enter this new year with patience and grace.

Alejandra completed her undergraduate degree in Psychology on the Clinical track at the University of Central Florida with a minor in Human Services. Ale plans to become an LMHC after finishing her Master's in Counselor Education and contribute to the protection of LGBTQ+ and Latine youth. She loves learning anything about health & fitness, music drives, car talks, and beach visits. The easiest way to win her over is with Häagen-Dazs Cookies & Cream and watching anything Disney+ related.
UCF Contributor