Go Knights, Charge On: A Recap of UCF’s Win Over Cincinnati

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The University of Central Florida has been exceeding all expectations for the second year in a row now, and I think that it’s definitely time we get the recognition we deserve. Not only were we called the “National Champs” in 2017 by the NCAA, but we are also currently 23-0! Yes, 23-0. In addition to this, yesterday’s game was monumental as we received more national recognition and local support than ever before. Not only was College GameDay hosted on our campus, but we even were broadcasted on ABC’s prime 8 p.m. time slot! Orlando has never been this passionate and I think it’s clear we all are truly bleeding black and gold, as our school pride is becoming more and more apparent here at UCF. Our football team is doing something we have never seen before and we just happen to be fortunate enough to be living in it.

UCF vs. Cincinnati 

This remarkable game started out with Cincinnati in the lead, but it quickly changed to a full-on Knightmare takeover. It seemed almost too easy after halftime, as we continued to get touchdowns and they continued to become more and more injured. Our defense was unstoppable this game as they were constantly blocking the passes, sacking their quarterback, and we even were able to block one of their field goals. Their offense grew weaker while our defense only grew stronger. When combining our unconquerable defense with our fast running offense, Cincinnati couldn’t even keep up in the last two quarters. (Not to mention we can actually make our field goals.) Overall, College GameDay had the most successful outcome possible and we truly showed how much better we are than all the other teams in the AAC.

What Does This Mean for USF? 

USF started out strong this season until Houston beat them (57-36), and ever since then they haven’t been able to win a game. In fact, since playing Houston USF has lost three more games, including against Cincinnati (35-23), the team we beat yesterday with absolutely no problem! However, rivalries still run deep between these two schools and the war on I-4 means this is the biggest game to UCF and to USF. Nonetheless, with our 23-0 winning streak and their 4 in a row losing streak the Knightmare takeover should be in full effect this upcoming Friday. 

UCF Deserves to Be Recognized 

We are holding the longest winning streak in the whole entire nation currently (and yes, we may be in the AAC, but it’s not like the ACC wants to invite us or anything). With our team, we have the possibility of truly showing up a lot of college football teams in the ACC and they know that. For example, when we beat Auburn last year (the team that beat Bama) it was a major wake-up call to all football fans, yet they still choose to ignore us and say we only play easy football teams. We gladly welcome playing teams outside of the AAC as we chant every game “we want Bama’, but nobody will do anything about it. UCF is football. We are recognized. No one has ever seen anything like this and regardless of your opinion on this matter, you still know who we are.

Check out our record below and see what UCF is truly all about and as always, go Knights, charge on! 

2017 Season: W 61-17 — FIU; W 38-10 — Maryland; W 40-13 — Memphis; W 51-23 — Cincinnati; W 63-21 — East Carolina; W 31-21 — Navy; W 73-33 — Austin Peavy; W 31-24 — SMU; W 49-24 — UCONN; W 45-19 — Temple; W 49-42 — USF; W 62-55 — Memphis; W 34-27 — Auburn 

2018 Season: W 56-17 — UCONN; W 38-0 — South Carolina State; W 56-36 — FAU; W 45-14 — Pittsburgh; W 48-20 — SMU; W 31-30 — Memphis; W 37-10 — East Carolina; W 52-40 — Temple; W 35-24 — Navy; W 38-13 — Cincinnati 

23-0. Period.   

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sofi is currently the Director of Marketing & Publicity here at Her Campus UCF & is majoring in the College of Business Marketing program with a minor in Psychology. While focusing on school she is also a Sales Development Representative for Statusphere. She is obsessed with all things yellow, reading, Pink Floyd, It's Always Sunny in Philly and her orange cat Garfield! Her plans after graduation are still undetermined, as a variety of completely different things spark her interest! You can keep up with her Instagram @sofi.shirey.
UCF Contributor