‘Girls’ Is the Self-Love Album You’ve Been Waiting For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“Girls,” produced and written by newcomer Yung Baby Tate, is an album that reminds you that the most important person to love is yourself. The album features 11 tracks that address the many different aspects of individuality. What initially drew me into listening was the fact that every song had been titled after a different kind of girl. For example, my personal favorites on the album are “Wild Girl,” “Lover Girl,” and “That Girl” because they remind me of characteristics within myself that I actually really like. 

Each song on “Girls” provides not only unique sounds and beats but lyrics that will bolster your confidence and highlight the parts of yourself that you sometimes need to be reminded to love a little extra. Here are five reasons everyone needs to listen to Girls” right now:

1. Yung Baby Tate is a GIRLBOSS

Since she was 10 years old, Yung Baby Tate has centered her life around music. She describes what her life was like growing up in an interview with XXL Magazine where she mentions how she used to sing in her church’s choir, go to performing arts school and make up jingles with her mother. By the age of 22, she dropped more than three albums—her latest being ‘”Girls,” which was released on most streaming platforms on February 3.

Yung Baby Tate is a self-made artist juggling the roles of singer, producer, songwriter and rapper. Her dedication to her craft is admirable and deserves so much recognition.

2. It doesn’t take itself too seriously

“Girls” is a lighthearted album that radiates positivity, joy and excitement. Where other artists may usually incorporate something slower to contradict with their more lively songs, Yung Baby Tate opts for a high-energy listening experience.

Although the underlying message behind each song is to love yourself regardless of the girl you are, the songs themselves are at times brutally honest, highlighting the funny quirks that make each girl slightly imperfect. The cool thing is that while highlighting these traits, Yung Baby Tate showcases them in a positive light regardless. For example, in her song “Lover Girl” she describes a girl who falls in love easily but is aware of the fact she does this, and has accepted it.

3. The aesthetics

In my own personal opinion, I think where “Girls” truly differentiates from most other albums out there right now is its unique usage of labeling each song by a different girl. Before listening, it had me wondering which song, or girl, I’d relate to the most.

4. It’ll get you dancing

When an album has a song called “Wild Girl,” it’s only natural to assume that it’s going to have a beat that’ll have you and your girls dancing and messing around, especially on those nights before going out to the club.

5. It’s a powerful reminder

It is so important to practice self-love, and “Girls” truly radiates this with its honesty and appreciation for the many different types of girls out there. Truly, there’s a song on the album for everybody to relate to and for everyone to see a little bit of themselves in it.

“Girls” is unlike any other album out there right now and offers a refreshing twist on the classic “girl-anthem.” The concept behind creating songs personalized for the many different “girls” out there is something that I think a lot of people will be able to relate to and enjoy. Music is the outlet that we use to fulfill our emotional needs, so if you’re looking for something that’ll leave you feeling inspired, confident and optimistic, “Girls” is the album you’ll want to listen to.

Images: 1, 2, 34, 5

Amanda Acosta is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida studying hospitality management, legal studies, and environmental tourism. When she isn't running around the Disney parks, you can find her drinking way too much coffee at the local Starbucks. Amanda's a dedicated Delta Zeta sister with an adventurous spirit and a passion to live her life to the fullest. When it comes down to it, there's nothing more she loves than her family, friends, and fellow UCF Knights! Follow what she's doing now on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest.
UCF Contributor