Life > Experiences

Expectation vs. Reality: Living With College Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Picture this: you just graduated from high school three months ago and you’re already moving into your college dorm. You end up opting for a shared bedroom and are meeting your new roommate, who may become your potential best friend.

If this sounds familiar, you probably have seen scenarios like this in movies, television shows or even social media platforms such as TikTok. They often depict the idea of becoming best friends with your roommate and going on crazy adventures together as you navigate college life together. However, more often than not, it’s too good to be true.

Expectation: Best Friends at First Sight

The idea of becoming best friends with your roommate is glorious on its own. Spending nights chatting about your dating life, going to parties together, and crying on each other’s shoulders sounds like a dream. Maybe they’ll even become your maid of honor at your wedding or the godparent to your child.

Reality: Awkward is a Better Word

Once you move in and jump past the 20 questions phase, it starts to get more and more awkward as the days go on. Most likely, you will chat here and there and maybe attend first-week events together, but there’s a strong chance you two may not have much in common, so you should prepare for that.

Expectation: You’ll Sleep Like a Baby

Sleep is one of the most important things in college. You and your roommate agreed to a set time for lights out so no one will have to worry about not getting enough sleep, right?

Reality: Good Night’s Sleep? Never Heard of Her

The reality is that it’s a very rare occurrence to get a good night’s sleep. Studies show that 60 percent of college students don’t get enough sleep at night, with 41 percent being caused by disturbances by their roommates. Whether your roommate decides to stay up or go out or even wake up at the crack of dawn, there’s a strong chance your sleep schedule will be interrupted. You can always try to talk to them about it as communication is a major aspect of living with a roommate.

Expectation: A Quiet Study Room

Your room is your sanctuary. The place you feel the most comfortable in. It’s the best place for you to study for your big final as it’s convenient and relaxing. There’s food readily available and doesn’t include all the disruptions that come with living on a college campus.

Reality: Better Off Going to the Library

Unfortunately, when living in the same room as someone else, there’s an abundance of noise. There’s a strong possibility of your roommate deciding to watch a show, talk on the phone, invite friends over or do absolutely anything except be quiet. The best option is to go to the library or a study room on your campus, where you are more likely to complete your work in an environment where others are doing the same thing as you.

Expectation: Sharing is Caring

The idea of sharing is a nice gesture. Need tape? Sure! Want a quick snack before class? Go ahead and take a bag! Sharing is caring, it’s something we learned back in elementary school.

Reality: What’s Mine is Mine and What’s Yours is Yours

I, unfortunately, fell victim to this. I learned quickly how easily people can take advantage of your kindness. One small thing such as a water bottle can quickly turn into a free-for-all. I caught my roommate rummaging through my drawers without permission, afterward, I immediately took back my offer of sharing. The reality is you’re going to want to set clear boundaries for what can be taken and what cannot so you won’t end up being taken advantage of in the long run. Your wallet will thank you.

All in all, having a college roommate is often glorified by all forms of media. This isn’t meant to deter you from getting a roommate, it’s meant to advise you of the realities of situations that you may come into contact with. Going to college is an amazing experience and you will make memories that will last a lifetime — just remember to be cautious!

Caitlin Simpson is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in both Broadcast Journalism and History. She has a passion for storytelling, the weather, and helping others. She hopes to become a Producer for a local news station in her hometown of Palm Beach, Fla.