This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Entering into the realm of college can be intimidating and nerve-wracking at first, but it can turn into an exciting adventure. Moving away from home, a place that has brought comfort and happiness for the majority of your life, can be scary. The key takeaway is this: everyone is going through the same thing. There is no reason to anxiously await freshman year of college. With that being said, there are several steps you can take to physically and mentally prepare yourself for the transition.

Get to know your roommates. These are the first people you are going to really interact with since you are all living together. Plan a day to hang out and get to know each other. Walk around campus together as you talk, allowing yourself to get familiar with the places around you. This will help in developing relationships with each other while giving you a better idea as to where your classes or campus resources are located. Getting to know your roommates has its perks: you may find that you all have similar interests and can bond over these, or you can have friends to go to events with.

On that note, attend events. Many schools host events the first week for freshman students who are looking to make new friends and get more comfortable with the school. They may have dance parties, comedy shows, or live music. Regardless of the activity, step out of your comfort zone and have some fun at these events. You are likely to meet people and get more excited about all college has to offer.

Join clubs. Many students make the mistake of not joining clubs during the first semester of college. Although it is an adjustment period, and rightly so, many upperclassmen advise freshmen to get involved as soon as they can. Clubs are tailored towards your interests and are great ways to explore your passions. For some, they can be a means of discovering a major. For example, I was struggling to choose a major during the first couple of months of college. After joining a few clubs, I realized the field that I wanted to go into. Also, clubs are one of the best ways to meet new people.

Lastly, and most importantly, transitioning into college means keeping on top of academics. Look at what study strategies and time management methods you acquired in high school. Determine what worked for you and which habits are better to break. Dedicating yourself to academics can help you transition into college because you can focus your efforts on school rather than worrying too much on other responsibilities.

Ultimately, there are a variety of ways to become more comfortable with the transition into freshman year of college. Yes, college can be daunting in the beginning, but with determination (and these tips), it can be just that much easier. Remember that your campus has a wealth of resources to assist freshmen, from first-year advising and career services to your professors and classmates. With all that being said, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors throughout college.

Images 1, 2

Monique is a student studying Advertising/Public Relations with a minor in Political Science at the University of Central Florida. She avidly enjoys reading, writing, and being with friends and family. She is part of several organizations on campus that are helping her promote positive change and unleash her creativity.
UCF Contributor