Culture > News

BTS x United Nations: The Significance of the World’s Biggest Group Speaking at the UN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In mid-September, the United Nations held their 76th session in New York City. Due to the ongoing pandemic, the size of the delegations was decreased to allow for social distancing and many members were encouraged to send in pre-recorded videos instead of traveling to the headquarters. 

BTS, currently the world’s biggest boyband, flew out of the country for the first time in two years in order to speak at the United Nations assembly for a third time. Being invited to attend the assembly at the headquarters is a huge honor, but being invited to speak in 2018, 2020 and 2021 — both in-person and virtual — is an amazing accomplishment!

BTS is known around the world not only for their music, dancing skills and charismatic personalities, but also for speaking their truth and speaking out against injustice. In many of their songs, their lyrics are centered around mental health awareness, following your true passion and being able to love yourself. In their partnership with UNICEF starting in 2017, their LOVE MYSELF campaign was focused on ending violence against children, as well as encouraging self-esteem and well-being. After their initial partnership with UNICEF, they were called in 2018 to speak at their first UN Assembly where they promoted their campaign to all the delegates from around the world. 

In the following years, their original message stayed the same, but they incorporated a new message: staying safe and contributing to mental health awareness in regards to the COVID-19 pandemic. As performing artists, they travel the globe for concerts, award shows and other appearances. But, since the start of the pandemic, all of that came to an abrupt end. This can negatively impact the mental health of all individuals, and they spoke out in order to raise more awareness on the loneliness and helplessness one can feel during these troubling times. They also urged people to get the vaccine if they’re able to and to wear masks and socially distance when possible. 

The UN’s purpose is to promote humanitarian aid, international peace and advocate for the protection of human rights across all nations. For BTS, a non-Western artist, to speak out against injustices, encourage people to get vaccinated and promote the UN’s goals by 2030 just shows the impact these individuals have on international affairs. 

Aviana is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Health Sciences. When she's not studying, she likes to listen to Harry Styles, BTS and Taylor Swift, along with exploring Orlando with her friends! She's also a big Harry Potter and Disney fan, so during any downtime, you can find her either drinking butter beer or eating dole whip at one of the theme parks!