Black Mirror: Could Our Future Amount to This?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERTS*

If you’ve ever seen the show Black Mirror, you know that it’s a series in which different components of what the future could look like are portrayed. Each episode features new characters and a new story with its own plot twists and jaw dropping ending.  However, as I’ve been watching the different seasons and the different stories unfold, I’ve begun to wonder if certain elements of this dramatic show could be quite possible in the near future. From rating people based on their conversational skills to killer electronic bees who hunt and kill mass targets: it may seem quite extreme, but is it really that unthinkable? With today’s technology and the ability to reach mass audiences through social media, text messaging and online communication there are many ways to track, find and interact with others. From population control to technology based social interaction, our advancements and rapidly changing environments make it seem like not really anything is TOO far-fetched.

Black Mirror introduces ways to bring back the dead, make video games real life, punish criminals and use social points as currency. Do these all sound extreme? Maybe, but think about the fact that we rate guys and girls based on their looks on dating apps and that we already have the technology to clone people. Just like in any dystopian book, movie or TV show, there is a part of the plot that catches us by surprise: because it is so believable and so realistic.This is exactly why Black Mirror’s depiction of the future is startling and surprising. When watching it, you will ask yourself how the world could come to be so dependent on technology or allow for mass killing, but with our continuing reliance on technology and separation from human interaction… we never know where we will be in one hundred years. I would definitely rate Black Mirror a 4 out of 5 stars because of its surprising twists and believability factor, which adds to its constant fan base. It also doesn’t fail to make people question whether or not our future could possibly hold some of the same values, factors and instances as the world of Black Mirror?

Along with the amazing plot line, Black Mirror offers characters that are imperfect and who you feel for, despite their downfalls and inhibitions. Being able to relate to the different protagonists allows you to be a part of the story and truly feel the pain, the happiness, the shock and the grief that these individuals are dealing with throughout each episode. Take it from me, you won’t want to miss out on this show while it is still on Netflix. Sit down, put your phone away and start with season 3 episode 1. I promise you won’t want to use your phone for a few hours after this. If not anything else, Black Mirror is a mind-bending thriller with endings that you wouldn’t count on and characters that you feel you can relate to on a personal level. Take a break and relax with a few episodes… or better yet, find yourself getting immersed in what the future could potentially hold. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor