This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Being Indian, my mom has blessed me with many beauty secrets that she learned from her own mom — secrets which were passed down through generations. She has always had amazing skin and thick hair, but I wouldn’t credit just her genes. She’s been using natural ingredients that can be found in the kitchen to create face and hair masks. 

Here are a few natural DIY secrets to how my mom keeps my family’s hair and skin looking great!

Organic Coconut Oil + Castor Oil 

This tip is definitely well-used throughout Indian and other Asian cultures. Using coconut oil mixed with castor oil helps to thicken hair and get rid of any naturally forming grease or dandruff. I usually keep a mask of this in my hair overnight and wash it out the next morning.

Yogurt + Honey + Egg

Making a quick hair mask consisting of yogurt, honey and eggs helps to enhance the shine and softness of your hair. The best thing about this hair mask is that all of these ingredients can easily be found in your kitchen. This mask can be applied to your hair 30 minutes before taking a shower. Although I don’t do this mask often, whenever I do I can definitely see a difference in my hair afterward! 

Multani Mitti Mask 

Multani Mitti, also known as Fuller’s Earth, is an amazing product for maintaining healthier skin. My mom usually uses it in combination with egg whites to help tighten skin, shrink pores and get an overall glow. Here’s a link to an article that goes in-depth about the many benefits of using this mineral-rich clay.

Tumeric Mask

Tumeric, or Haldi, is a commonly used mask throughout Indian cultures to help enhance glowing of the skin and shrink pores whilst softening and exfoliating the skin. Turmeric powder can be combined with yogurt and honey for a paste-like consistency and applied for about 30 minutes or until the mask fully dries on the face. Although my mom and I usually use this mask on our face, it can be used on any part of your body! 

These are just a few of the things I do with my mom to keep my hair and skin feeling healthy. I hope you try out a few of these natural beauty secrets the next time you have a self-care day! 

Umaima is currently a senior studying behavioral, biomedical, and health sciences at UCF. She has a love for cute coffee shops and trying new food venues. When she isn't studying, she enjoys fashion, doing her makeup, and most importantly, watching Netflix and sleeping. If you want to stay updated with her through social media, find her on instagram and twitter.
    UCF Contributor