The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the arrival of pumpkin spice, spooky season, and the changing of leaves, I think it’s finally time for us to say that fall is officially here. While Pinterest boards full of thick sweatshirts and flannels definitely look cute, they just don’t fly in the South! As someone who has lived in Florida for a good portion of her life, I certainly know a thing or two about staying comfortable in the sun while also looking cute and cozy for fall! Here are five staple clothing items that not only embody the fall season but also help you beat the heat!

ballet flats

Ballet flats are a great year-round staple, and if you’ve been anywhere near TikTok recently, they are definitely making a comeback. While UGGs are a fall favorite, they’re not worth the sweaty feet in this humidity. Ballet flats are perfect to dress up or down; they look amazing whether you’re going out for a casual dinner with friends or preparing for a business meeting. If you’re looking for luxury, these iconic Repetto Ballerinas take the cake! On the other hand, these Target flats look super classy and only cost $20!

Button Downs

Don’t let the tropical temperature make you shy away from layering! Buttondowns are pieces that belong in everyone’s capsule wardrobe. On a windy day, throw one over a shirt and you have a cozy fall look without feeling too sweaty. This GAP button-down is just the right size for an oversized look, and its sleeves are really easy to roll up and down. If you’re looking for a short sleeve look, this one from Natural Life has a soft, homey vibe.

Jeans

If you’ve ever seen The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, then you know that a good pair of jeans will take you anywhere. Jeans will work in almost any weather: winter, spring, fall, or summer! In a pinch, a pair of jeans and a simple top is my goto. A baggy or wideleg fit will definitely feel a lot better in the humidity and give you a ton of movement compared to skinny jeans. These wide-leg H&M jeans give you the upmost comfort and the dark denim is so on par with fall trends! You also can’t go wrong with American Eagle jeans; since they tend to be on the pricier side, look out for a sale!

H&M Wide High Jeans product shot
H&M

Skorts

In my opinion, nothing is more versatile than a solid mini-skirt. However, short skirts can be a struggle to wear in the heat sometimes because of chafing and sweat. Let me provide a solution: skorts. Skorts give you the same look as a skirt, but with extra padding to keep you as comfortable as possible. I love these sport skorts from Old Navy because they look like traditional skirts, but feel amazing. They hit right at mid-thigh and have built in shorts to prevent chafing or any accidents! Just throw on your favorite sweater with a black skort and you’ll have the perfect dark academia look for your next class! Another option are these skorts from Athleta, which are fantastic for both athleisure and day-to-day wear!

Crochet Sweaters

Crochet sweaters are a great way to layer and get that warm and comfy fall look without sweating buckets. They imitate cardigans and sweaters without the thick material. Just wear a light tank top underneath and you’re good to go! I am absolutely in love with this cropped sweater from Free People; the colors just scream “autumn is here!” For a simpler style, try this Old Navy top. Another option would be to check out thrift stores near you— I personally have found beautiful crochet pieces for incredible prices!

If you’re looking to simplify your wardrobe for this Florida fall season and avoid the “I have nothing to wear!” spiral, cultivating your wardrobe with pieces like these might be the perfect choice for you!

Anushka Desai is a freshman student at UCF currently majoring in Legal Studies and is a Staff Writer for Her Campus UCF. In her free time she engages in journaling, cooking and drawing. You might catch her indulging in long drives while listening to her favorite guilty pleasure playlists.