bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We all know those days: the ones where we’re too sick to even get out of bed. On those days, people might focus on getting medicine, staying hydrated and well-nourished, and resting (which are all super important). What most people forget, however, is to also nourish the soul. Stay with me here. If you aren’t in a good mood, how is your body supposed to feel good? Exactly. So, for that reason, here are my top seven favorite movies that I always turn to when I am sick in bed. (Yes, I am currently sick in bed.)

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist

This rom-com starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings came out in 2008, but it never fails to cheer me up. It’s about two people with mutual friends and a mutual interest in music that inevitably brings them together. Also, anything with Michael Cera in it is obviously going to raise your spirits.

Easy A

Emma Stone. Amanda Bynes. Penn Badgely. Aly Michalka. Clearly, this 2010 teen comedy is perfect for those sick days based on the cast alone. Olive Penderghast, a 17-year-old living in California, finds out the hard way that little white lies can have an unexpected snowball effect on one’s reputation. Sounds dark, but Emma Stone and the rest of the cast do a brilliant job of creating a comedy for the ages.

Sing!

Okay, yes, this is technically a kids movie. And yes, it is an animated film. I entice you to look past those things to see this musical comedy-drama for what it truly is: an amazing film. It has literally everything you need to cheer you up on those sick days, including a great musical score, impeccable comedy, loveable and diverse characters, and of course, an uplifting storyline about following your dreams, in spite of what the real world has to say about it.

The Fundamentals of Caring

This Netflix original is and will always be in my top favorite movies list. Starring Paul Rudd, Craig Roberts, and Selena Gomez, this movie tackles the rough parts of having a disability in a refreshing way. It also reminds us that humor can truly carry us through almost anything. By the end of this movie you’ll have felt all the feels, guaranteed.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

This is another Netflix original (!!!) teen romance film. Take my word for it, this movie will bring a smile to your face (and give you major fashion inspiration). Starring Lana Condor as Lara Jean Covey, an endearing high school junior, this film is a sweet take on young relationships, friendships, and of course, family.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

If you really need a pick-me-up with a star-studded cast, this one is a great choice. This film revolves around the twists and turns of love at all its stages. It stars Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei and Kevin Bacon. Its story is one that anyone can relate to with the perfect comedic touch.

50 First Dates

Last but certainly not least, this little gem is a classic. Guaranteed to make you laugh, cry, and then laugh some more, it stars Drew Barrymore as the survivor of a car crash that caused her to lose all of her memories every time she goes to sleep. This causes her to live the exact same day, every day. Thankfully, it also stars Adam Sandler as a marine veterinarian who falls in love with Barrymore’s character, so this is true romantic comedy at its finest.

So, the next time you’re sick in bed, you should definitely grab the meds, water and your laptop. You’ll be feeling better in no time! 

I am currently a senior at my beloved University of Central Florida! I am majoring in early childhood education, and I hope to one day teach kindergarten. I also hope to start a blog about my teaching shenanigans down the road. For now, I spend my days reading, exploring the theme parks, and enjoying all that my city beautiful has to offer! I love dogs, The Office, and long walks on the beach.
UCF Contributor