Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

7 Essential Songs for the Ultimate Break-Up Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As the month of love comes to a close and we reflect on the butterflies and bursts of pink in the air, I believe it’s time to sing (or listen to) the blues. Although new sad songs are in constant rollout every week, these are my seven essential songs that — no matter what — will make it onto my ultimate break-up playlist and get me in my feels…every time! 

“Selfish” by Madison Beer

The second single from pop rising singer/songwriter Madison Beer’s upcoming debut album, Life Support, is truly a tear-jerker and a song that will get stuck in your throat when singing it.  The song dives into reflecting on a past relationship that from the start, it was clear was not going to work out, singing regretfully “I shouldn’t love you, but I couldn’t help it…I always knew you were too damn selfish.”  

“Falling” by Harry Styles

Do not even get me started on this one. From the first time I heard this song and the slow piano tempo faded in, it was clear I wasn’t going to be getting up and dancing the night away to it. In a sit-down interview Styles did with Apple Music’s Zane Lowe, he described that this represents a time in his life where he “started to feel [himself] becoming someone [he] didn’t want to be.” In relationships and/or leaving them, that can be an extremely prominent feeling that is hard to overcome. This track on Styles’ sophomore album, Fine Line,  really evoked the emotion that I have felt in various relationships and friendships — that eventually the other person will not be interested in having me in their life anymore. Having a song like this to relate to is always going to be nice to have.

“Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want” by Elefant 

Although the classic version, originally performed by The Smiths will ALWAYS be top tier, Elefant did this song justice. When I first heard this cover on the soundtrack for Disney’s Sky High (2005), I was connected to it almost instantly. Whether it’s a breakup or you bombed your biology midterm, this song fits the perfect background for a sad night in.  

“Lately” by Wet

“What have you done for me, lately?” is the question asked by the alternative duo throughout the hook of the song. The focal point and theme of the track is the situation of being in a relationship where one person is doing all the giving, while the other is so comfortable with all the taking. It draws to the idea that one partner is trying to support another, to keep their fragile ego intact, making sure not to draw any attention to their wants and needs. Another tear-jerker, ladies and gentleman.  

“You Were Good to Me” by Jeremy Zucker and Chelsea Cutler  

With the emotive piano tempo and softly sang words, this song can easily drown someone into a pool of feelings. Zucker and Cutler, so simplistically capture a conversational type of song, reflecting on the personal mistakes they might’ve made within a relationship — apologetically, insisting their partner didn’t do anything wrong. All they were was good to them.

“Mean It” by Gracie Abrams  

Abrams sings “Maybe that thing you said under your breath, you mean it.” The feeling of knowing a relationship is on its last leg is the worst and scariest of them all. This song captures it perfectly — not knowing if you are experiencing the last good moment with this person or if this fight will be the one that ends it all. It is truly heartbreaking knowing that someone can love you because they know you so well, but that can also be the exact reason they begin to hate you. This track so easily reminds you of that feeling and it’s hard to stop the waterworks when it does.  

“Visions of Gideon” by Sufjan Stevens  

The year is 1983. Christmas morning in northern Italy. Elio is crying in front of the fireplace. That is all.  

Now, for the people who need it, add these to your ultimate break-up playlist and let the sad girl hours begin.

Erin Jones is a senior at the University of Central Florida, studying advertising and public relations. Her interests include writing and playing music, film, and fashion.
UCF Contributor