6 Tips For Surviving the Dreaded 7:30am Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Having an early bird class would be bearable if the class was engaging and Zac Efron guest lectured on a weekly basis. On a more serious note, the change in weather has made it even more difficult to get out of bed. Clearly no one got the memo that we live in Florida; 30 degrees weather, waking up early, and leaving the safety of our warm comforters do not mix.

Hide your alarm clock.

By doing this we will have to get up out of bed to stop the obnoxious ringing in our ears. I’ve slept through an alarm but because it was out of my reach and I was not able to hit snooze, I was still awaken by my alarm. Setting a second alarm may also be helpful.

Have a morning ritual to wake you up.

If you get out of bed and immediately go to class with workout clothes, going to class will almost feel pointless because you will fall asleep! Whether it’s eating fruit, taking a shower, jumping jacks, blasting your most upbeat music, or having to dress up by wearing something comfortable but also stylish, do something that gets you going.

Be mindful of your schedule and have a consistent bedtime.  

I know it’s hard when you want to watch one more episode from your Netflix queue or your friends invite you to a spontaneous outing but think about how you’ll feel in the morning. Your stinging eyes will hate you!

Prepare your things the night before.

Spending five to ten minutes will minimize your preparation time in the morning. You won’t feel as rushed and it will be easier to identify if you are missing something. Your mind will also be calm and therefore easier to fall into deep sleep.

Record your lecture if you are feeling out of it.

We’re not perfect. There will be days when it’s extremely hard to focus and monotone voices are the enemy. This will give you the chance to go through your lecture notes and add anything that you could not comprehend earlier.

Drink water during class.

Mostly for those who rely on coffee in the morning, drinking water balances your stomach. Even if you don’t staying hydrated will keep you energized throughout the day.

UCF Contributor