This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s normal to feel slightly nervous prior to taking an important exam, but if the nervousness is impairing your ability to perform well on the test, it becomes a problem. This is usually due to test anxiety, something I’ve recently started to deal with. I’ll review for weeks and study really hard before an exam, but if I’m not feeling confident enough, my exam score reflects that. In the past, during situations where I’m experiencing test anxiety, I start to feel lightheaded, nauseous and shaky, and the intense fear causes me to forget everything I studied so hard to learn. 

If you feel that you relate and also regularly experience test anxiety, here are some tips that have helped me — according to ADAA — to learn how test anxiety can be managed.

Be prepared

Make sure you’re studying and preparing for your exam! Not being prepared is a huge contributor to feeling anxious during an exam. Everyone has their own studying style that works for them, but if you aren’t sure about the best way to learn, here is a quiz you can take to lead you in the right direction. 

Stay positive

Your attitude toward your test-taking ability plays an essential role in how you end up scoring on an exam. It’s important to remember that your worth doesn’t relate to how well you perform on an exam. As long as you do your best and study the material, there’s no reason to believe you can’t do well.

Stay focused and relaxed

This may be easier said than done, especially when you’re actively feeling anxiety during an exam, but trying to focus on one question at a time rather than your surroundings helps to ease the fear. Taking deep breaths and answering easy questions first can boost confidence and helps with remembering material that the anxiety causes you to forget. 

Stay healthy

Not eating or sleeping enough exacerbates anxiety during an exam and makes it even harder to focus on the questions. It’s pivotal that you get a good night of sleep and eat healthy before an exam. 

Seek help

If you feel that you can’t handle test anxiety on your own, it’s crucial to seek help from a professional. UCF provides a variety of services for mental health assistance. 

person typing on MacBook Pro
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash
Personally, the main source of my test anxiety is my lack of confidence in my testing abilities and my fear that I won’t perform well. However, I realize now that my lack of confidence is the only thing standing in the way of my performance, because I am fully capable of doing well. 

For more information and tips on test anxiety, visit ADAA’s website here

Umaima is currently a senior studying behavioral, biomedical, and health sciences at UCF. She has a love for cute coffee shops and trying new food venues. When she isn't studying, she enjoys fashion, doing her makeup, and most importantly, watching Netflix and sleeping. If you want to stay updated with her through social media, find her on instagram and twitter.
UCF Contributor