Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Reasons to Fall in Love with Valentine’s Day, Even if You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

At its heart (pun intended), Valentine’s day is an excuse to reach out to everyone you love and let them know, preferably with cards and candy. There is no reason to dread the steady approach of February 14th. The day doesn’t have to be about a significant other. You can treat it as a celebration of the love you have in your life for your friends, your family, and for yourself.  Here are 5 reasons to love Valentine’s day regardless of your relationship status!

1. The decor!This holiday has style and flair in spades, and it’s not just limited to your walls. Everyone looks good in heart-shaped glasses and red is totally your color. From adorable banners to glitter hearts and pink everything this holiday brings tons of cute (and cheap) decor that you will still love well into March.

2. The Instagram Photos We all love a good photo op, and thanks to the aforementioned decor, this holiday is begging to be documented. Grab a camera and your girls or your date and watch the likes flood your notifications.

3. Self-love If you feel the need to spend the day alone, or find yourself without plans, Valentine’s day is a great time to reflect on the things you love about yourself and treat yourself to a day of self-care. Grab a facemask and the book you’ve been meaning to read and spend the day with yourself because you are pretty damn awesome.

4. The food is seriously sweet Conversation hearts, chocolates, cookies, wine…. This holiday has it all and then some. I personally am in favor of any holiday that encourages my friends to hand out sweets. Bonus: on February 15th all that chocolatey goodness will be half off.

5. Valentine’s day offers the chance to remind your people that you love them  The holiday is heavily romanticized, but your friends and family will all appreciate a heartfelt card or text, reminding them of all the reasons you love them. If the holiday gets you down, then the positive messages you send will probably boost your mood.

Bonus: If you really can’t stand the idea of spending the day alone Tinder will always be there for you. The holiday can inspire some creative pick up lines and with all the love in the air you may find your match or at least some laughs.

Rachel is a currently a senior at UCF studying English. She is the Director of Marketing and Public Relations for Her Campus UCF. She loves to travel, is obsessed with her dog, and is forever in search of the perfect pink wine. When she is not writing fun articles you can usually find her spending too much money at Target or hiding in a good book. If you want to follow her on social media you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
UCF Contributor