danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Questions to Ask in Your Internship Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We all know that feeling: You’re walking into the reception area, resume and planner in hand, brand new blazer on your shoulders and nude pumps on your feet to match that business casual dress you bought from H&M. It’s your first internship interview, and you’re so nervous, you’re not really sure where to start. But little do you know, starting is easy, it’s finishing the interview that matters! And what’s the best way to finish? Asking questions. Asking questions shows you came to your interview prepared, and that you did research on your company beforehand. Here are the top five questions to ask:

1) What do you expect of your interns? This shows employers that you want to go above and beyond the norm, and you want to know exactly how to do that. You are no slacker, and they are gunna learn today (if you get the interview that day that is… I guess that expression doesn’t make sense if you’re talking about the future…)!

2) What do you like about the company? A question like this shows that you are not only interested in the job, but the people who work for it! It also shows you like to ask the person for their opinion, and this could flatter them!

3) On a regular day, what would I be doing? Of course you read the job description, but your future boss’ explanation of your job is way better than five bullet point sentences. This question is more for you, in that you realize if you want to actually pursue this job, or if it is full of coffee trips for your superiors all day.

4) If you like the way I do this position, is there an opportunity to work longer than a semester? This question shows you are not a one-semester worker! You want to make your mark in this position, and show that you are great and not easily replaceable (*do NOT cue Irreplaceable by Beyonce)!

5) What is the next step in the hiring process? Internships are so unpredictable with the hiring process. You might have three interviews before getting hired, you might get hired on the spot, or you might have a phone interview first and then an in-person interview. Either way, this question answers everything from “what’s next?” to “when will I find out the results of this position?”

Victoria is a senior studying Broadcast Journalism and minoring in Criminal Justice at UCF, and is also the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. When Victoria is not attending classes, you can find her and her giant hair (it's full of secrets) in the Student Union pretending to study, but actually watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Her dreams include holding a puppy for three days straight, and marrying Jimmy Fallon on the stage of Saturday Night Live. If you see Victoria around campus and she hasn't quoted Beyonce three times, run because you have found an imposter! This lovely Italian lives for Beyonce quotes (ladies, tell 'em) and fashionable boots. If you like cheesy jokes, cute pics of animals dressed like humans, or embarrassing stories of her life, you should follow her on Twitter @imunprevictable, or her step-by-step blog on Tumblr on how to survive college! *Does Single Ladies dance out of room*