5 Hobbies to Try While Self-Isolating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the current state of the country being under lockdown, there’s no better time to pick up a new hobby. We all have a mental list (or Pinterest board) of activities that we want to try but never get around to doing. Well, now’s the time to do it! There will never be another time like this (hopefully), so while we’re here we might as well make the most of it! Here are five hobbies to pick up during self-isolation. 

Painting 

Painting is always my go-to stress-relieving hobby, so it absolutely had to make this list. This is a stressful time for everyone due to the uncertainty of the health and economy of our country, so channel that stress into something beautiful. If you’ve never painted before, try following a Bob Ross video — you’d be surprised at what you’re capable of. Need inspiration? Check out Pinterest! Not into canvases? Try DIYing the back of a thrifted jean jacket. 

Gardening

Have you always wanted your apartment to look like one of those Pinterest greenhouse fantasies? Well, now’s the time to exercise your green thumb! Have you killed more than your fair share of plants? Try out cacti and other succulents. If you’re a beginner, herbs are the perfect jumping off point. Not only are they aromatic, but you can use them to adultify your cooking. 

Pick Up A New Instrument 

Have you always wanted to live out your rockstar fantasy? Or at least be able to strum Oasis’s Wonderwall? Not gonna lie, playing the guitar is always a cool party trick. But, learning an instrument can require a lot of time to practice — which is perfect when you have nowhere to go for the next month. On a budget? Try the ukulele. You can find beginner ones for under $50!

Embroidery 

Embroidery can be a cheap and fun way to personalize your space. There are hundreds of free beginner videos on YouTube, and the supplies are college budget-friendly. Check out Pinterest for different design patterns! You can do it with almost any fabric. Spice up an old sweatshirt, or personalize your pillowcases. The world is your embroidery hoop! 

Scrapbooking

This one goes out to all college seniors! If you’re feeling down about commencement being canceled and your college days coming to an abrupt end, now is the perfect time to take a walk down memory lane. You can print photos straight from your phone at pretty much any CVS or Walgreens. So go collect your pictures, polaroids and memento’s, and start documenting. Scrapbooking can be a great way to exercise your creative side while reminiscing on the best (and worst) moments of your college days. 

This can be a stressful time for everyone, so instead of re-bingeing your favorite show for the tenth time, start trying out those hobbies that have been on your mental list for years. There’ll never be a better time to start than now!

Erika is currently a Senior at the University of Central Florida studying Business. When she's not in class or studying, she can be found painting, listening to obscure Spotify playlists, or binging the latest Netflix phenomena.
UCF Contributor