This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Finals week can be a stressful time for students. During such a high-anxiety time of the semester, it’s important to give your brain a break. Here are four ways to de-stress during finals.

Listen to Music

By listening to your favorite songs, you’ll relax your mind. On study breaks, switch over to music that your brain doesn’t associate with studying. Try making a playlist specifically for relaxing and study breaks. Music is one of the many ways you can calm your anxiety at the end of the semester.

Watch a Movie or a Show

If you have a lot of reading to do for final exams or essays, I suggest watching a TV episode or a movie during your breaks. After you’ve consumed a big amount of information, your brain will need a break. Watching an episode or movie will relax your mind during a stressful week.

Exercise

Study breaks are a great opportunity to get moving. No matter where your study spot is, you’ll most likely do plenty of sitting during exam week. After you’ve spent hours studying and working on assignments, exercise will help loosen up your muscles. Taking walks, stretching and doing general workouts are different ways to de-stress through exercise.

Do a Hobby

Creative students may find activities such as drawing, singing or playing an instrument during study breaks to be stress-relievers. Think about an activity you love and try incorporating it into your study breaks. Hobbies are a great way to relieve stress.

Find out which de-stress methods work best for you. Make sure you don’t overwork yourself during finals week and remember to take breaks! Taking the time to de-stress will not only lower your anxiety, but it’ll also allow you to retain more class material. If you’re a student who’s taking finals, you’ve got this! I wish you the best of luck. 

Deanna is a senior majoring in English Creative Writing at UCF along with an Editing and Publishing certificate. After graduation, she plans to pursue an editorial career. When she's not writing or studying, she loves singing, listening to music, and watching scary movies.
UCF Contributor