Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Relationship Red Flags That You Shouldn’t Ignore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

February is a month that often feels entirely dedicated to love, romantic relationships and commitment. It can be difficult to acknowledge anything negative in your life when it seems like everyone around you is in the ideal honeymoon phase. The truth is, relationships are complicated, and that’s what makes them real. But that doesn’t mean you should let certain behaviors slide in order to feel connected to someone. Here are some red flags that are more significant than you might think. 

The only thing they ever talk about is how perfect you are.

Sure, it’s incredibly flattering when someone can’t stop themselves from going on and on about how they adore the little things about you. But in reality, when all your significant other can do is put you on a pedestal, it becomes infuriating. You realize that they don’t view you as you are, but rather as a construct of a “perfect individual.” If your partner can’t have meaningful conversations with you beyond a surface level, the relationship is doomed from the start. Compliments are not a crime, but there’s always a limit when it comes to how much is too much. 

They guilt trip you at any given opportunity.

If your partner always finds a way to make you feel bad when you go out with friends or spend time with family, that’s not someone you want to be in a relationship with. If you can’t go out without them texting you nonstop about how you should be with them instead or how badly they feel that you‘re having fun without them, then that is their problem and not yours. You can be in a committed romantic relationship and still have a life outside of your partner. 

They push your physical boundaries more than you care to admit.

Whether youre single or not, personal space is something that every person has a right to. When your partner continues to touch you repeatedly when you’ve told them you don’t want them to, it shows how little they respect your body and your right to refuse. Even if the touching appears innocent, they should know that no means no, and it doesn’t mean try again every few minutes. Your body is your own and nobody can tell you otherwise. 

They are incapable of seeing themselves as anything but right.

This is a big one, at least in my experience. Nobody is ever truly right about everything, and if your significant other cannot look at other people’s perspectives it can become a real issue. If there’s ever a conflict in the relationship, they will find any way to make sure the blame falls entirely on you. Everyone should be able to look at themselves and know they can make mistakes. 

As I said before, relationships are complicated. Everyone deserves to be with someone that makes them feel comfortable, even when there’s conflict. If you find yourself relating to the things on this list, never hesitate to reach out to a friend and talk about it. You’d be surprised how many others can relate, and I promise that your happiness doesn’t lie in the hands of a significant other. Love yourself this February, and every month after that. 

Caroline Hull is a senior at the University of Central Florida and is double majoring in Theatre Studies and Creative Writing. She is pursuing her dreams of either being a successful playwright or an English teacher, and loves to spend her spare time cuddling with her dogs, Maya and Winston.