Studying?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Studying?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

3 Ways Dating Tips Can Help You Stop Getting Ghosted by Employers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

What are two of the scariest things that almost all college students do at some point? If your answers were “dating and job hunting,” then congratulations, you’re correct! And if you’re anything like me, just thinking about either of those things gives you a massive headache. As someone who has been working really hard for a while to be successful at both, I came to the scary realization that all of the activities involved with finding a job and a boyfriend or girlfriend are eerily similar. Honestly, navigating dating in college can be a lot less scary than the process of finding an internship because there’s way less pressure on the former at this point in our lives. But don’t worry; with a little bit of work, you can find a job or internship that will be “the one” for you.

Your Resume Is Like Your Tinder Profile 

Let’s be honest, dating apps are hell and resumes aren’t too fun either. But if you think about it, when you make a profile on Tinder or Bumble you’re just marketing your best self to potential spouses, which is exactly what your resume does for potential employers. Instead of putting up your best selfies for someone to swipe right on, you’re putting together the skills and experiences that make you unique and would make a hiring manager want to schedule an interview with you. Just look at this girl’s tinder bio; it’s literally a list of references. And just like you would ask your friends what pictures to use, ask people to look over your resume! The UCF Career Services Office can be a great resource because the people there know exactly what employers are looking for. At UCF, resume critiques are done by trained students, so they’ve been in the same position and are usually super nice. I promise your resume isn’t the worst one they’ve ever seen.

Your Friends Are There To Help 

So many “meet-cutes” happen when two people are set up by friends or go on double dates, and it can be the same way when you’re looking for someone to hire you. I genuinely don’t think that I would’ve been able to get through this whole crazy process of preparing for job fairs and interviews if it weren’t for my friends. We would send drafts of resumes and cover letters in a group chat at 1 a.m, drag each other to Career Services, and hype each other up before internship fairs and interviews. It’s exactly what I would need from my girl gang if I were nervous for a first date. If you were to mention to a friend that you’re single, they might say something like, “Oh my God I know someone that would be perfect for you!” The same thing could happen if you talk to people with similar ambitions and career goals. Maybe they’ll refer you to the internship that they just finished or they’ll tell you about a job posting that they saw. Just because you’re in college doesn’t mean that you’re too young to network.

Don’t Get Discouraged

Yes, rejection sucks. I can’t count the number of times that I’ve been fully ghosted after sending my resume or application. It leaves me up at night wondering where I went wrong. And the dreaded; “I’m sorry we can’t offer you a position at this time” email is the job market equivalent of getting dumped and having someone say to you “I found someone else. It’s not you, it’s me.” Don’t let this get you down for too long. Keep going to internship fairs and asking friends for workplace recommendations; you never know where there’ll be an unexpected connection. Keep sending your resume and cover letters out even if it feels like you’ve been swiping all night on Tinder and still haven’t found anyone that’s worth swiping right on. Just like dating, eventually, you’ll find the right fit for you (even if it means dealing with a few f*ck boys first)!

I hope that these tips make the whole process of finding “the one” a little less intimidating. Whether you’re looking for a job or someone to date it’s important to remember that you’re already great just the way you are. You don’t need to change for anyone or any job! All you need to do is put yourself out there and present yourself in the best way possible. Good luck friends!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Ashley is a senior who serves as HCUCF's President and Co Campus Correspondent. She's double majoring in marketing & ad/PR at the University of Central Florida with dreams of working in a big city and traveling the world. As a lover of all things entertainment, Ashley has an encyclopedic knowledge of 2000's movies and cheesy teen drama shows. She loves oat milk lattes and daydreaming about her next vacation. You can almost always find her studying at coffee shops, at her local record shop or at home watching Twilight. Follow Ashley on all of her socials below!
UCF Contributor