10 Songs to Help You Destress This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As young college students, stress is just part of our everyday lives. It’s unavoidable and it seems to take role in everything we do. Being a stressed college student is never fun, but it’s just another part of life we all have to pull through in order to become better versions of ourselves. Being college students doesn’t change the fact we are human beings that are heavily impacted by stress to a point sometimes we feel like dropping out. 

I wish I could say that there was a long-term solution for curing stress, but realistically we are going to come across it in life whether we like it or not. However, there is no harm in pulling out of the stress for some time to gather ourselves and remind ourselves that we are worth relaxing and having a good time. In fact, it’s encouraged to allow yourself to destress and just take a break every once in a while. 

Typically when I’m stressed, I like to listen to music. Music gives me some mental relief and allows me to feel untroubled for a few moments of my life. So before you make that final decision to drop out and give up on everything you’ve worked so hard for, listen to these 10 upbeat songs that will allow you to dance and belt out all the glee you’ve been concealing this semester: 

1. Body Moves by DNCE – This song is one of my absolute FAVORITE songs to listen to when I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed. It is a very promiscuous song that I will happily embarrass myself dancing to in my kitchen while making dinner.I will admit to feeling extremely sexy no matter what when listening to this underrated hit.  

2. Closer by the Chainsmokers & Halsey – This one isn’t quite as underrated as the rest I’m going to list. This song puts me in such a good mood no matter how overplayed it is on the radio. After going to EDC Orlando and hearing this song at clubs, I have to say this is one of those songs that really brings a community of people together after an exhausting week of work and puts everyone in such a positive mood. 

3. Time of Our Lives by Pitbull & Ne-Yo – This song was a radio hit in 2015 and definitely a tune that I still jam to every day when I hear it on my Spotify playlist. The lyrics of the song essentially do the explaining for me. “I knew my rent was gonna be late about a week ago, I work my a** off, I still can’t pay it though. But I got just enough to get up in this club, have me a good time, before my time is up.”

4. Nobody’s Business by Rihanna and Chris Brown – This is definitely a booty-shaking song I will jam out to while trying to clean my room or do some other kind of unwanted chore. I have a vivid memory of first listening to this song when I was visiting a friend in Pittsburgh and I made her put it on repeat in the car because it was pleasuring to my ears. I just envisioned myself busting a ridiculous move or two in the club while this tune was playing.

5. Bacon by Nick Jonas – I don’t know about you, but anything with Nick Jonas in it already makes me feel joyful. This song not only has a really catchy rhythm to it, but it’s one of those songs that has a really cool chorus you wish you had people to sing in unison with. Unfortunately this song never seemed to hit the charts, but it definitely should have in my opinion. Not to mention once again, it’s Nick Jonas. If Nick Jonas doesn’t make you happy, I don’t know what will.

6. The Less I Know by Tame Impala – This is genuinely my favorite hipster jam, you’ll understand what I mean by that once you listen to it. The moment you listen to it you feel like you should be in a 70’s themed club with a bunch of people that only purchase their groceries from Whole Foods and wear ironic T-shirts (I promise I’m not hipster-shaming). To each their own is all I have to say to that. Either way this song just makes you feel very carefree and content.

7. Faded by Alan Walker – This song I feel does have a very melancholy, yet serene feel to it. The lyrics themselves aren’t necessarily positive, but the feeling the song itself gives me is indescribable and it is definitely a tune I have developed a personal connection with. It’s one of those songs you know critics just see as a ridiculous EDM song, but as someone that doesn’t listen to a ton of EDM, I can genuinely say this song has helped me escape several stressful situations. Just blast it with the windows down on your next lengthy car ride and I promise you’ll understand the feeling.

8. Shout Out To My Ex by Little Mix – This song is a very empowering song to those who have been heavily heartbroken by someone they once loved. The reason I see this as a positive song rather than a hateful and negative song is because of the feeling it gives me every time I listen to it. Even for those who have never been in love or heartbroken, this jam just makes you want to stand up to anything that has made you feel powerless at any point in your life.

9. Shape of You by Ed Sheeran – I have tried very hard to avoid some of the most overplayed radio jams because I know many people are tired of hearing them, but this one was impossible to not address. If you haven’t heard this amazing tune, stop everything you are doing and go to youtube and let your ears thank you. As we all know, Ed Sheeran is an incredible musician even to those who try their best to dislike him as one. This song has a flow to it that I cannot seem to put into words. Everything about this jam just screams “incredible music”.

10. Hey Jude by The Beatles – I definitely felt this last one needed to stand out the most of this entire list. This tune is definitely an older ballad considering the others that have come out within the last few years. Hey Jude is one of those jams that I definitely feel everyone can sing together in unison the second you hear it come on. It is a song that just carries such a positive vibe and people from all generations find some kind of enjoyment in it. The progression of the song makes the song even more enjoyable to those who may not know very much about The Beatles. 

Now what are you waiting for? Take my word for it when I say these songs will give you mental relief. We all need time to destress and get ourselves together so we can refresh and be ready for the next obstacle that comes along. Give yourself the credit your deserve and just unwind with a new Spotify or iTunes playlist. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 34, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Leah is a senior at UCF studying Human Communication with a focus in Media Relations. Leah loves being a voice to the voiceless. She one day hopes to use her writing skills to make a difference to those who need a helping hand. Leah plans to utilize her time in the future working in Public Relations or going to grad school to become a guidance counselor for elementary and middle school students. Leah is a yes girl, she never passes up an opportunity that will benefit her career greatly. And of course Leah loves to go out and dance with strangers on weekends because why not? 
UCF Contributor