sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Books to Get You Through Every Possible Winter Break Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With finals out of the way, you might be ready to never have to pick up a book again. Restore your faith in reading over the break with one of these excellent books! (You could also consider this list a perfect gift guide for friends and family—or me.)

1. The Financial Diet

For those of you who will be spending the break working to fund your spring semester or spring break, read The Financial Diet by Chelsea Fagan. It has all the financial advice you will need to convince yourself working is worth it while you scroll through the never-ending stream of vacay pics cluttering your Instagram feed. 

2. Gmorning, Gnight!

If you’re so excited about the holidays you could easily get a job as one of Santa’s elves, pick up Gmorning, Gnight! by Lin-Manuel Miranda and illustrated by Jonny Sun. This isn’t a holiday-themed book, but it’s filled with inspirational and motivational sayings, poems and more. It will help you spread joy year-round, and isn’t that what the holidays are all about? 

3. Cringeworthy

If your winter break will be focused on self-improvement and you need motivation for the new year, pick up Cringeworthy by Melissa Dahl. This book is all about powering through and even appreciating your awkward and embarrassing moments—or in my case my entire life. Start 2019 with a new mindset with this thought-provoking read.

4. La Bella Figura

For your traveling downtime, pick up La Bella Figura by Beppe Severgnini. This book offers insight into the minds of Italians and the contradictions that live in their true values. I’m heading to Italy for New Year’s and this will definitely be in my carry on.

5. Warcross

For those of you who will probably spend most of the break trying to catch some dubs on Fortnite, read Warcross by Marie Lu. This fast-paced and futuristic fantasy is packed with high tech gadgets and centers around an immersive video game tournament that any gaming fan would be ecstatic to play in. 

6. Call Me By Your Name 

Whether you’re spending the holiday season single or are happily cuffed, Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman will remind you of the chaotic impossibility of falling in love for the first time. It’s heartbreaking and wonderful and will make you wonder what your first love is up to. (Don’t use this as an excuse to text them.)

7. How to Be Alone: If You Want To, and Even If You Don’t

If you’re stuck at school for the break, don’t get too down. Check out How to Be Alone: If You Want To, and Even If You Don’t by Lane Moore. This book will help you feel a little more connected to the world, even when the campus feels completely empty because all your friends went home for break. It’s the perfect way to embrace spending the holidays with yourself.

8. Twilight—or your favorite book from childhood

If you’re going home over the break, you might find yourself regressing into some old habits. Lean into who you used to be by rereading a book you loved growing up. I end up re-reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer every winter break. I know the story has its flaws, but every page has a memory attached to it that I cherish. Whatever book sparked your love of reading as a child is a perfect pick for your winter break.

9. An Ember in the Ashes

If you can’t whisk yourself away on a winter adventure, you can at least escape into the pages of An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. This series is a thrilling magical adventure that you’ll be hard-pressed to put down. Consider it the perfect excuse to skip meeting up with people you haven’t spoken to since high school graduation.

10. Tokyo Local

If you’ll be spending most of your downtime in the kitchen, check out Tokyo Local by Caryn and Brendan Liew. This gorgeous cookbook has delicious meals for every time of day. Bonus points if you make something and bring it to a holiday party, or skip the holiday party and just bring it to me!

Image credits: 1, 2, 3

Rachel is a currently a senior at UCF studying English. She is the Director of Marketing and Public Relations for Her Campus UCF. She loves to travel, is obsessed with her dog, and is forever in search of the perfect pink wine. When she is not writing fun articles you can usually find her spending too much money at Target or hiding in a good book. If you want to follow her on social media you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
UCF Contributor