This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As my first year as an Aggie comes to a close, I am beginning to reflect on everything I have done since I moved to Davis last September. When coming to Davis, there were times when I was afraid that maybe what I thought was my dream school may not exactly be the place for me. However, as I created meaningful relationships with new people, I found that, yes, this is the right place for me. So, now, as this year comes to an end, it is time for me to reflect on the things I have learned and the places I have found as an Aggie.

Image Source: Jonas Kaiser

Things I’ve Learned

It doesn’t seem like much, but I discovered who I want to become based on the classes I have taken, and I even declared a second major. I have developed opinions about topics that are pertinent to our society – things I never knew I would be interested in. Recently, I’ve learned that there is no use pretending to care, especially since the opportunity to advocate and make a change for something I am passionate about can be ignited at this institution. Every day in class (even though sometimes getting out of bed is rough), I have witnessed that there is nothing without passion. Sitting through a lecture seems tedious when it’s at 8 a.m., but there is something to be noted about the passion that can be felt and heard when a professor is speaking to a full lecture hall.

These three quarters have gone by terribly fast; I’ve learned not to take my time here for granted. When I begin the trek to a Monday 8 a.m. lecture, I have concluded that, despite the simple truth that I may feel on the brink of exhaustion, it is best to take a look at my surroundings and simply admire the campus that is around me – admire the institution that I have had the chance to attend. Then, I think about the new friends I have met, relationships I have built, organizations I have joined, and I can take a step back to appreciate where I am.

Image Source: Rachel Lees

Places I’ve Found

Before I moved to Davis, I remember students always talking about the arboretum and how great it was. However, it was not until I began to actually visit it until I realized that I should have listened sooner. I had the luxury of living in the Segundo Residence Halls this entire year and, while it forced me to explore the downtown area due to its close proximity and arrive at my humanities classes right on time, I realized that this may be the reason behind my previous lack of appreciation for the arboretum.

Another place my roommate and I discovered during our time exploring downtown is called Cloud Forest Cafe. It is, by far, one of the best places to study downtown on a weekend or even a weekday. Many of the study spots downtown fill up fast, but every time I have taken a bike ride down to Cloud Forest, there has always been room. It has a laid-back atmosphere with plenty of natural lighting, which makes it great for both studying and Instagram pics. And, of course, they also make some pretty great lattes.

Lastly, another place that I discovered very late in the game is the Shields Library Main Reading Room. As an English and Political Science double major, I do a lot of reading, researching, and writing. For me, nothing is better than natural lighting and the Main Reading Room is lined with windows along with some pretty cool art, too.

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!