clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s OK That You Don’t Have A Post-Graduation Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The pressure is on: every time you visit home, you get the same questions from your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and second cousins twice removed whom you’ve never met before. What are your plans after graduation? Did you get extra tickets for graduation yet? Are you looking for a job, or applying to grad school? Did you pick a place to have dinner after graduation (because we need to make reservations)? You better believe you are NOT moving back home.

We know that they mean well, and they ask all these questions and put all this pressure on us because they love us. But it can still be very stressful. After all, it’s not like we haven’t been asking ourselves all of the same questions since we started our senior year. Sometimes, it can feel like it’s all weighing down on you so hard that you can barely move, especially now that the end is nigh.

If this is you (don’t lie, I know this is you), it has never been more important than it is right now that you take a deep breath and relax. Most of us are not going to be like that one friend we have who already has their entire life planned out. And that is OK.

You can’t know where you want to go until you figure out why. What do you WANT to do next? Do you want to take a year off and go to Spain? How about grad school? Or are you just dying to jump right into a “9-5”? Or maybe you just want to take the summer to volunteer at the animal shelter while you continue to consider your options? I could keep going. There are a million things you could do after you throw your cap into the air and walk out of the Pavilion. All you need is an idea of what you want, and then you can start chasing it.

So the next time your family and loved ones ask you about your post-graduation plans, don’t panic. Take a deep breath, smile, and tell them that you are considering your options. And who knows, maybe if you tell them what you think you want, they may have some ideas or suggestions or know someone who can help you get started. You’ve got your whole life in front of you, so don’t forget to relax and enjoy it.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Cover photo source: Pixabay

I am a California native currently studying English and Professional Writing at UC Davis. I like to write and edit work in order to deliver a clear, informative, and engaging message. I hope to one day become a professional editor. In my free time I enjoy running, skiing, hanging with friends, and indulging in the occasional night-in with Netflix.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!