This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you haven’t heard, this is an important election, a critical election. But, why? What’s at stake?

Here are a few things:

1) This election will determine which party holds the majority in Congress. The Republican Party currently holds the majority, and voting in Democrats could be the first step in creating change from within. The power of the House extends far and wide, which creates the potential for significant change. 

2) Regardless of who holds the majority, President Trump still holds a lot of the power, including his veto power. However, with a Democrat majority, there can be more of a fight against his legislation and policies, which could slow the process of creating such policies. 

3) “Redistricting” is at stake. This is the process of drawing new congressional district lines. If Democrats can win back the majority, they may be able to draw more favorable lines that could control the future of politics for the next decade or so. This is not something highly recognized, but nonetheless very important and influential. 

4) Local issues are also at stake. In California, propositions that could affect the future of things such as daylight savings, funding for homes of people with mental illnesses, and road and transportation repair are on the ballots. Voting on local issues has ramifications that are arguably as important as national issues. 

If you need more reasons to vote, I recommend looking into all of the ways your vote can control the future of your county, state, and country. Your vote matters, and not voting because you don’t believe so is inexcusable. Do your research, vote, and help create the future you imagine. Change is progressive and cannot occur without active participation.

Exercise your right! Vote!  

Hi! I'm Christine Giovannoni, and I am a Sociology major and Communications minor at UC Davis! I love writing, watching sports, being with family and friends, and running! I am also a sports marketing intern at UC Davis and a member of Alpha Delta Pi, and I love being involved on campus in any way I can.
Gretchen is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in political science and cinema & digital media. As an intersectional feminist, she finds interest in issues of social justice and equality. She also finds interest in dogs, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and early 2000s music.