Life > Academics

Tips: A First-Year’s Transition to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

College is credited to be the best four years of a person’s life. The thrill of being away from parents and making adult choices is worth craving! However, the actual adjustment from high school can be far more jarring. College requires immense autonomy in academics, social life, and health, which can’t be taught overnight but can be worked towards. Here are some tips and tricks I used to transition smoothly into college.

1. Youtube!!!

It’s normal to feel worried about entering university life, but why stress when there is a plethora of information right at your fingertips? There are hundreds of college advice videos ready for fresh graduates to learn from. 

I started with literally any video I could find, focused on videos about distinct aspects of college (like dorm-packing, study tips, etc.), and finally filtered it down to advice on my specific school. The purpose here isn’t to prepare you 100%, but to get you thinking about HOW to prepare. 

2. Understand Academic Requirements

Part of prepping for college is understanding why you’re there: to be a student. Each major has its own list of required classes, and each university has its own graduation/GE requirements. Taking some time to review such requirements can remove a massive weight off your shoulders. In most cases, advising appointments don’t exceed 30 minutes, and graduation criteria are too complex to understand within that period. Doing a little bit of research in advance can save time and give you the chance to ask deeper, more precise questions to your advisors, such as AP/Dual enrollment credit, summer classes, or any further clarifications.

3. Plan the Day Out

This is by far the most crucial step in having a successful college experience. After finalizing class schedules, most incoming students notice some wide gaps in the day and don’t know how to utilize them. During these gaps, it’s important to make time for studying, homework, extracurriculars, and breaks. Doing a little work every day will increase efficiency, reduce burnout, reap good grades, and give a balanced life. It’s totally okay not to follow this schedule perfectly; the aim here is to give you a sense of what tasks should be completed and when. 

4. Social Media

College is a whole other ballgame when it comes to forming friendships. Because universities are huge and everyone follows their own schedule, it can be impossible to see the same faces every day. Social media platforms are the easiest way to make friends before even stepping on campus! Everyone is enthusiastic to find their squad, so in online college groups, a lot of people will post about themselves, their interests, etc. You can either post too, comment on a post, or even slide into someone’s DMs. The idea is to find at least one person you can meet up with before college begins. I usually find it difficult to make new friends, but since I was active on my college’s Instagram group, I entered school already with a handful of close people. The important thing is to actively reach out to them as the school year progresses.

5. Set Goals

Each day in college flies and can feel frustrating at the same time. It’s easy to wonder, “Ugh, why am I here in the first place?” Journaling affirmations about your passions, dreams, and ideas can fuel motivation. I would write wishes about maintaining my health or pursuing college endeavors, and then branch out to long-term dreams of career and family. Granted, being an 18-year-old, there is no need to know precisely what you want in ten years, but even forming small goals, like, “I want to eat one apple every day,” can bring some discipline and fulfillment into your university life.

This list is certainly not comprehensive, but it points out some things I did as a nervous high school graduate that transformed me into a confident college freshman. It’s completely fine to take the advice, modify it, or leave whatever doesn’t work, but my intent was to leave you, readers, with some reassurance…

You got this! College is definitely going to be a great four years; all you got to do is embrace the journey!

Gayathri is a third-year Biotechnology major and director of the UCD Her Campus Digital Media team. She loves to write, work out, sing, and sleep (college students need more of that nowadays). When not indulging in her boba addiction, she likes to wind down by watching hilarious Youtube vids with a hot cup of tea.