jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things We Should Do More Often

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Our lives often seem to be non-stop, never giving us a second to catch up or breathe. We feel so busy that even when we’re not busy we feel guilty for not being busy. Always being on the go, it’s natural that we tend to overlook things that don’t seem absolutely essential. Though these may not always seem to be the most crucial actions, in the long run they’ll make both you and those around you feel closer and valued.

Tell others we appreciate them

Sometimes we’re so stressed that we forget to say seemingly-simple words or phrases, like “thank you” or “I appreciate it.” But just remember, everyone around you is stressed too, and if someone goes out of their way to help you out despite their own stresses, a “thank you” would make it worthwhile. It’l make them feel valued, and you’ll feel better too.

Call our mom (or grandma, dad, etc.)

I’ll admit that I am terrible about this, but I’m definitely trying to work on it! Being away at college and having so much going on all the time, it’s easy to forget to call home or check in. We need to remember that while we’re out and about in a new city with new friends, our family is still at home and is missing us (hopefully). A phone call here and there will help make them feel less like they’re burdening you every time they call.

Compliment strangers

Every so often, I’ll get a random compliment from someone I have never seen or met before in my life. Those are the best days. If you see someone worth complimenting, do it! Whether it’s because you like their outfit, their makeup, their hair, their earrings… literally anything. It’s nice to be noticed every once in awhile by someone who isn’t our mom or best friend. 

Smile 

According to research that probably exists, smiling makes others feel warmer toward us, and it even helps us to feel happier, too. As someone who suffers from resting-sad-face (RSF), this isn’t the easiest of tasks. But it’s important to remember to smile at others now and then (rather than just blankly staring at them, like I tend to do). Smiling at others usually results in them reciprocating the action, and it’s nice to have so many smiles around you.

Recognize the efforts of others 

Similarly to telling others we appreciate them, it’s also important to let others know that their efforts are not going unnoticed. Whether you choose to do this publicly or privately, the person you’re recognizing will feel respected and worthwhile. 

A few words from us have the ability to completely change someone’s day. Let’s change them for the better! To the person reading this, you’re great and I appreciate you for clicking on this article <3 

Nikki is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in English and Communication, and minoring in Professional Writing. Her passions include: puppies, Harry Styles, and Coke ICEEs. She thoroughly enjoys proofreading and hopes to somehow make a career out of it.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!