This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“[It’s] Here, [It’s] There, [It’s] Every F*cking Where”-  Season 3 of Ted Lasso was just announced to return to Apple TV in Spring 2023. Ted Lasso was released in 2020 and is arguably one of the best shows to come out of lockdown. Unfortunately, this will be the final season of the show. 

During winter break, I rewatched Ted Lasso, so here’s a quick recap for those who have seen it of most things that happened in preparation for season 3:

Season 1: 

Ted Lasso, an American football coach from Kansas, is enlisted as a soccer (*cough* excuse me, football) coach in England at the AFC Richmond club without knowing the rules alongside his friend, Coach Beard. Rebecca Walton (owner of the club) wants Ted to fail because her cheating ex, Rupert, loves the club (she recruits Higgins, the Head of Football Operations, to do her dirty work). For example, she hires a photographer to publish an out-of-context image of Ted and Keely (Jamie’s girlfriend) to ruin his reputation. In spite of her best efforts, Ted not only succeeds in uniting the team but also befriends her and starts with the “Biscuits for the Boss” tradition. 

There is hostility highlighted between Jamie Tartt and Roy Kent (players). Jamie bullies other people constantly and Roy is the only one that stands up to his behavior. Things escalate when Keely breaks up with Jamie, as Jamie is benched for his bad morale and later removed from the team. It is revealed near the end of the season that Jamie has a toxic relationship with his father. 

Additionally, there are many other side plots that are established. Ted Lasso is going through a divorce because his wife fell out of love, which was the catalyst for his panic attacks. Nate, the team’s kit man, helps Lasso coach the team and eventually gets promoted to assistant coach. Keely works towards her independence and success by managing the team’s PR and forming her friendship with Rebecca. 

The season wraps up when AFC Richmond loses to Manchester City. Yet, Rebecca, who is now in support of Ted, encourages him to work harder next season and get promoted. They start preparing for the next season. 

Season 2: 

This season opens up with AFC Richmond on a tying streak. However, Dani Rojas (another player) accidentally kills Earl (the team’s canine mascot) and develops the yips until Dr. Sharon, a therapist, is hired. Dr. Sharon assists the whole team with their problems, but she becomes prominent for Ted to dissect his past trauma. 

Roy has retired and spent his free time coaching young girls in football until he found his part-time calling in Pundit work, and then works as an AFC Richmond assistant coach. Also, Jamie returns and reconciles with the team. He apologizes for his bullying, steps towards being a better person, and repairs his relationship with Roy. Additionally, Rebecca and Sam (player) develop a romantic relationship but prioritize their own personal growth. 

However, Nate becomes more important in season 2 as he grows distressed about Ted’s approval and develops his ego. His insecurity makes him doubt the intentions of Ted and the people around him. 

To wrap up this season, everyone finds out about Ted’s panic attacks and there are mixed reactions from the public. Yet, the defining moment, in the end, is when the ripped-up “BELIEVE” (a crucial artifact in the series) poster shows up on Ted’s desk and Nate joins West Ham United (another club). There’s so much tension and anticipation! 

Overall, I love the show and the characters as they all strive to be their best versions. Every character struggles and is not perfect, but the great thing about the show is that they want to be good and do good for other people. It is about how Ted Lasso inspires the team and others around him to believe in themselves and each other.
The show is so wholesome and will make you laugh and cry. Ted Lasso is my favorite television series, so I hope the final season lives up to the expectations set up by the first two.

Kayla is an English major at UCD. She enjoys reading, trying different foods, and watching tv with her cats.