timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stigma of Self-Help

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There is a general stigma associated with self-help books or articles. People think that if you decide to read self-help books, you’re admitting that there’s something wrong with you, and that you need support for a physical or mental problem.

Many people fail to realize that those books provide a great deal of information that you don’t necessarily learn in school or from your parents. They often include life lessons and emotional guidance. Whether you need advice or not, anyone can benefit from self-help books. These books can be incredibly relatable, as they’re told from the perspective of everyday people sharing valuable life lessons. These novels–filled with different people’s expeiences, thoughts, trials, and tribulations– chronicle versions of the human condition to broad audiences.

If you do read self-help books or articles, remember that there is nothing to feel ashamed about. Why not seek guidance from experienced writers who can help and relate to you? These authors are not just being paid for their work, they’re also strong advocates for their values and beliefs, and strive to form a real connection with their audience. Once you realize this about self-help books, you’ll realize that things like fear, anxiety, depression, and family issues are more common than you think. You’re not alone.

If you’re interested in diving into the self-help genre, here are a few books you can further investigate:

1. The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt

2. The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown

3. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

My name is Rojan Zarei and I am a second year Managerial Economics major at UC Davis. I've found a passion in getting to know who I am, learning about life, and sharing that with others! What better way to do that than write about what I've learned so others can hopefully benefit from it as well!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!