This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

To say my senior spring quarter is not going as planned would be an understatement. This international pandemic has quite literally brought life as we know it to a screeching halt. Rather than dwelling on the negative during this time, I have been trying to focus my time and energy on positive outlets. I spent my spring break in Davis, socially isolating, and have begun my online classes last week – all 6 units of them. This means I have a LOT of free time. So here are some things I am doing to stay positive and sane!

1. Keep a Routine

I was guilty of failing to do this at the start of spring break. But a sleeping routine from 4 am to 2 pm is not healthy, constructive, or necessary. Since the first couple days of sheltering in place, I’ve been going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up at 10 at the latest, for some normalcy. With that in mind, eat three meals a day and snacks! Get dressed in clothes that are not pajamas. Ath-leisure has become my new normal, a comfortable middle ground between socially presentable and comfortable. 

2. Get Moving

Yes, keep a distance from people (6 feet!) but going on a walk, jog, run around your neighborhood is completely safe. Try and get outside in some capacity every day. Avoid touching any crosswalk buttons with your hands though!

Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Colorado Travel Mountains Hiking Trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

3. Do Something Creative

You know that project you have been putting off forever? That idea you have stored in your Notes app? Do it. You have the time so why not. Start a blog, read a book, plant some flowers. DIY your jeans or tie-dye a sweatsuit (everyone’s doing it!). Utilize Youtube for instructional videos or DIY ideas!

4. Shop Smart

It’s especially tempting to shop online during this time. The amount of notifications I’ve received about sales or deals is absurd. But shop smart and sustainable. Check out platforms like Depop or Poshmark if you’re interested in buying new clothes – chances are that you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for at a fraction of the cost, without endangering factory or warehouse workers in the process. And while you’re there, clean out your own closet!

clothes
Lauren Fleischmann

5. Move!

Listen to music, out loud if you can. I find that playing music through my speaker allows me to multitask more. New music is being released every week (Frank Ocean!) and it’s an easy way to boost your mood. If you’re looking for more, check out the podcasts section of your streaming apps. Podcasts are an easy way to be engaged in something without having to stare at a screen, something we are all guilty of doing a lot of.

6. Breathe.

This whole thing is exhausting, to say the least. I deleted Facebook and Snapchat for a week or so, trying to avoid the terrifying DailyMail headlines. It’s okay to turn it off, block whatever sites you need to so you don’t feel consumed.

Open your windows, light some candles, take a long shower. We are all doing our part by staying safe at home and washing our hands!

Josephine is a fourth year at the University of California Davis, where she is studying Sociology. In her free time, she enjoys picnics at the Davis Farmers Market and watching Friends. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and hopes to be actively involved in the political realm after graduating. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!