Wellness

Simple Ways to Feel Your Best All School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

New year, new you! Whether you’re going into your first year of college or completing your final one, the first few weeks of Fall Quarter are the perfect time to build positive habits and establish what you want your routine and priorities to look like this year. These are a few simple tips to keep you feeling like the strong and capable woman that you are. 

1. Exercise regularly. 

This summer was the first time I was able to get into a regular exercise routine, and I am amazed at how much of a difference it makes in all aspects of my life. When you exercise, you sleep better and have more natural energy from endorphins, not to mention the sense of accomplishment you feel after a good workout or the physical results that come over time. It’s easy to think of exercise as a chore, but it truly is an act of self-care. It’s amazing to see what your body can do!

Image Source: Pexels

2. Plan your day the night before. 

In college, it’s hard to have a super regular routine, because each day can have a variety of different things on the docket such as: class, appointments, work, office hours, seeing friends. Each night, I try to plan the following day in a journal; I list my classes and anything else that I know I have going on, then I asses how I want to spend my free time (I use lots of colors and things to make it cute and fun). This can also be easily done with Google Calendar or other digital agenda websites. Deciding what to do with the one hour between your classes can increase productivity; if you tell yourself in advance that you’ll use that time to sit at the MU and work on a specific assignment, you’re much more inclined to actually do so, instead of floating around wondering what to do with that time. 

3. Try to cook and prep your own meals.

Not having the convenience of the dining commons was one of the most daunting aspects of moving off campus, but cooking for myself has proven to be a great opportunity to practice self-care in a way I never have previously. I make a point to make meals that are quick, easy, and cheap, but that are also nourishing and healthy. Some of my favorite simple combos recently have been:

• Rice, beans, cheese, salsa, and tomatoes 
  • Oatmeal or yogurt with honey, fresh fruit, and my seed mix that I keep a jar of (chia, flax, hemp, and sunflower seeds – it’s a perfect way to add some extra protein and nutrients)
  • Sautéed veggies (I love bell pepper, eggplant, spinach, or zucchini – all are super easy! I just chop, fry in olive oil, and then doctor them with any sauce or spices) with any grain (rice, quinoa, pasta)

I’m not a vegetarian, but so far I’ve been eating way less meat because it’s honestly just easier to put meals together without it. I guess that’s just a later challenge to tackle on my journey of learning to cook for myself.

Image Source: Pexels

4. Put effort into your outfits.

I cannot describe what a huge difference it makes in the quality of my day when I feel like I am presenting my best self. Planning my outfits out the night before is the most effective way to ensure that you’ll be serving looks, but obviously we all get lazy. If you’re just throwing together an outfit in the morning, taking the extra 30 seconds to add a funky pair of earrings or opting for a statement jacket can make you feel like a boss. Also, investing in a few key pieces that work with a lot of things and that you feel super confident in can make a big difference in your ability to put outfits together. Looking good and expressing myself through style makes me feel more confident, put together, and ultimately, more me

Image Source: Pexels

Obviously, we all go through phases where you’re super on top of everything and feel like a self-care goddess, and then there are other times where you’re drowning in stress and midterms and feel like you don’t have it together. Even if it’s not all the time, trying to practice some of these habits when you can is super rewarding. This year is all about being your best self!!

Ali Janku is a second year Economics and History double major. She loves writing, being outside, meeting new people, learning, and trying new things. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she works at the Manetti Shrem Museum, is an associate of Davis Women in Business, and is a performer with Birdstrike Improv Theater.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!