Schuyler Aschuler: Teacher, Marching Band, Black Belt…and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Meet Schuyler Alschuler, a computer science major with a passion for teaching and the clarinet. When not pursuing these activities, you can find him in the ballet studio or the swimming pool practicing his synchronized swimming. Watch out for him at the next football or basketball game halftimes in the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh!

Name: Schuyler Alschuler

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Science with a minor in Education

Hometown: Oak Park, CA

You’re at the halfway point of your college career. What has been your best memory, and what is your biggest hope for the next two years?

My best memory was in freshman year when my friends and I watched the movie Interstellar in the dorms. It really stands out as a good memory because we were just doing nothing together and that was fun. You don’t get to do much of that in college, so it was nice to step away from everything and have that.

My biggest hope is just to continue to get good grades and thrive in college. I really want to learn as much as I can before graduating—I mean, I’m only going to be here once!

What are some hobbies or extracurricular activities that you participate in?

I am currently in the clarinet section of the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh! I love skating, synchronized swimming, photography, and ballet whenever I have free time. I’m a third degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, a form of Karate, and have even taught my own class as well. In the summer, I work as a camp counselor at Camp Kinneret, but currently I’m interning as a teacher’s assistant at Patwin Elementary School here in Davis.

Wow. That’s a lot. Let’s start with Band-Uh. Why did you join? What’s your favorite thing about it?

I decided to join because Band-Uh is cool! I came here and I wanted to join band because I was in band in high school. When I saw them playing at a football game, I thought they were so cool. One of my friends who had already joined persuaded me to go to the first meeting, and I joined that day. My favorite part has been meeting some amazing people, taking trips, and just having a big group of people around you that you enjoy and can spend time with.

My favorite memory was in my first year when we traveled to Cal Poly to march in the football game, and later rallied on the field in a Battle of the Bands. I didn’t exactly know what was going on at the time, but it was really cool.

What are your post-college plans? Has interning as a teacher’s aid influenced your goals?

My plan, at this point, is to be a high school teacher, teaching either computer science or history. This internship definitely has influenced my plans because working with kids in the summer is one thing—you get to see the fun side of them—whereas working with them in the classroom shows a whole different side of them. It’s a completely different challenge.

Fun Questions!

What is one college experience you NEED to have?

I really want to go the Silo bike circle and watch freshmen on cruisers crash into each other.

What is your favorite thing about Davis? Least favorite thing?    

Favorite is the environment—it’s so pretty here. That’s the main reason why I chose Davis; it doesn’t feel like an urban trap like some of the other colleges.

Least favorite is the number of people here. There are way too many people on campus this year. It’s actually pretty outrageous.

Lightning Round!

Favorite color? Yellow

Favorite TV show theme song/intro? Stranger Things

Favorite song right now? Lovely Thing Sweet: Conversations by Watsky

Favorite movie? Interstellar

If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be? I’d go back in time and teach myself backflips.

Would you rather eat an entire ginger root every day for a month or two lemons a day for the rest of your life? Definitely the ginger.

Pet peeve: When people on bikes turn into the wrong side of the road.

Melissa is currently an English major at the University of California, Davis and, in addition to this, she is pursuing a minor in Economics. Melissa currently has a part-time job on campus in addition to writing for hercampus.com. You can follow her on instagram at melissa_hosking
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!