This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

INTRODUCTION:

In 2006, when YouTube was still in its infancy, a young Mexican-British teen named Rosianna Halse Rojas, or missxrojas, began posting videos to the site. The content of these videos ranged from her thoughts on literature — especially Harry Potter —  to pop culture, feminism, school and her personal life. As her videos gained popularity, she became an online personality in the Nerdfighter community, originally created by “Vlogbrothers” John and Hank Green. Rojas continued to make videos for the next ten years.

Over the past decade, Rojas’ viewers have seen her graduate from high school and university, land a gig as John Green’s personal assistant, and move from London to Indianapolis to be Green’s partner in a production company. However, to assume that she is in any way secondary to the bestselling writer and entrepreneur would be a mistake. She is a spectacular innovator, author, and creator in her own right. She might even be the real-life embodiment of Hermione Granger, inspiring thousands of young people — especially women — to embrace their own intellect, cultivate their ambitions and work towards a better future, all while remaining unafraid to be emotionally vulnerable in the process.

PART ONE: Rosianna and self-empowerment

“Your ambition is a lioness and I can hear her roar from here.” – Rosianna Halse Rojas

Rojas uses her YouTube platform to talk about her life and does so candidly and openly. She is honest with her audience, particularly in detailing her experiences with navigating the job market, body image, and mental health. Her content is honest and genuinely representative of not only her own triumphs and struggles, but the triumphs and struggles that we all face. Her stories are compelling and remind viewers that they are not alone in facing challenging times. On the flip side, Rojas serves as the big sister, best friend, and the mentor that we all need at times.

In a series of videos in which she details the crisis and non-crisis of tackling the working world with fellow YouTuber, Sanne Vliegenthart, she empathizes with her viewers’ feelings of uncertainty and inadequacy, but reminds them that there is hope to be found in the seemingly overwhelming world of post-university adulthood. University students, especially those wanting to pursue writing and publishing (like the two authors of this piece), can find comfort in the series across which two graduated women find their direction and jobs that they love.

Rojas encourages the pursuit of one’s goals and ambitions. Like Hermione Granger herself, she exemplifies the idea that womanhood is not a factor that should ever suppress ambition or assertiveness. Womanhood is not something that makes you weak. Referring to women as lionesses, she empowers not only individuals, but the international community of women as a whole.

PART TWO: Rosianna and the wide world of women

“I call for all of us to do more with and for women whose voices do not have the volume they should. Let us all be amplifiers.” – Rosianna Halse Rojas

Rojas critically examines literature and media through “Rosianna-colored glasses” — a term coined by Kirsten — and evaluates the portrayal of women and their voices. In videos like “Company Magazine’s ‘Skinny Club’,” she delivers a sharp critique of the language surrounding female body image.

Others videos like “Hermione Granger: A Thesis” and “Jane the Virgin: Women Onscreen, The Lie of Virginity, and Latinas,” convey the significance of including women with a diversity of narratives, who stand at multiple intersections of identity. Still, she doesn’t restrict her critique on gender inequality to what’s readily available to media consumers, and digs behind-the-scenes, too. In 2014, she released a video entitled “The Women Offscreen: Sexism in Film,” and her annual “Ladies Survey,” offers other female content creators the chance to speak about their experiences.

On International Women’s Day, she discussed a trip to a Syrian refugee camp, where she interacted with teachers and young girls pursuing education in the face of adversity with minimal resources. Rojas continually promotes the education of women and the expression of “Lioness Ambition.” She draws attention to relevant issues of the world stage in her own unique ways through her perspective.

CONCLUSION: Next on the to-do list

Rosianna serves as an empowering example of a feminist with a to do list. She uses her YouTube platform to not only communicate with her audience, but the rest of the world. As staff writers for Her Campus, we strive to follow in her footsteps by discussing issues important to the womxn of our university community with eloquence and grace. She should know that she serves as an inspiration to so many, and that her videos are sparks that ignite the conversation about topics that are in dire need of exposure.

IN SUMMARY: Rosianna Halse Rojas is the brightest witch of her age.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!