Pursuing a Language Minor & Sticking with It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Last year, I was required to take two more Spanish courses in order to fulfill the 15 unit foreign language requirement that is required for students like me who are pursuing a Bachelor’s of Arts degree. I took Spanish in high school, and I had always considered myself to be fairly decent at learning the Spanish language because I had even been exposed to it during some short courses in middle school. As I sought to complete my foreign language requirement, I found myself, again, just as I had in high school, doing well in Spanish. I felt even more confident in my abilities when I got an A during my first quarter because the other two grades I received that quarter I was not as proud of. This increasing sense of confidence in my Spanish speaking abilities persuaded me to think about pursuing a minor. In short, since that time, I have been actively working towards receiving a minor in Spanish; however, I have to admit that the enjoyment has begun to fade. I have recently discovered that Spanish is… hard.

As I am now embarking into the Spanish composition courses offered here at UC Davis, I find that writing well in Spanish is harder than I could imagine. For starters, one of my majors is English so, of course, I enjoy writing, but having to rewire my sense of grammar completely from English to Spanish is challenging. I often catch myself having trouble utilizing the Spanish grammar rules since I employ my English skills on such a high level everyday when I am in my classes or writing an essay. I will write sentences and clauses in Spanish attempting to sound more intellectual when, in reality, the thoughts I am trying to articulate are indeed academic; but the sentences I write have a tendency to have structural and stylistic aspects that are correct in English, but unfortunately, not in Spanish.

I didn’t realize I had this problem until I wrote my first composition for the course. I was proud of it. I thought I had made a decent attempt at articulating my ideas in a semi-intellectual way until I received my grade. I was utterly discouraged when the very end of my rubric had a note from my professor that said, “please come see me about this.” Granted, no one else saw or knew my professor left me this note, but I did, which was bad enough. As my own harshest critic, I felt horribly exposed and behind the rest of the class since there are distinct, albeit, varying levels of Spanish speakers in my section ─ some most definitely a level above me. With that being said, all I could think about was what I was doing wrong and what my professor was probably thinking of my abilities with the language. The next day I made an appointment to meet with my professor, and my biggest fear of being behind the class or a lost cause for becoming bilingual wasn’t coming true like I thought it was. My professor explained to me exactly what I needed to work on and how to improve the issues I was facing, and even though it was helpful to hear such encouraging words, I still find it difficult to attend my 8AM lecture because honestly, sometimes I can’t help from feeling a bit down (to make matters worse, this is a 5 day a week 8AM lecture).

Recently, I have been doing my best to persevere and remember my goal is still to become bilingual and I am set on achieving this goal; I can’t give up now. It took me a while to get here, but it is a work in progress. I am constantly working to overcome the fear of saying words or sentences incorrectly in terms of grammar as well as pronunciation, but after meeting with my professor, I am discovering the purpose of these lectures is for me to practice and a consequence of practicing is learning, meaning that it is okay to mess up and be imperfect. I know that for me, as long as I can remember, I have strived to assume the most perfect version of myself, but if that were possible, there would be no need for improvement; but there is always room for me to better myself. I have learned now that not everything can be as easy as I want it to be, and if I already knew everything I wouldn’t be here. So, yeah, I’m going to keep pursuing this because I know with some hard work, I will figure it out.

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!