This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

To anyone stressed, you are not alone. Chances are you are prepping for midterms and have an endless list of responsibilities: office hours, clubs, jobs, or even commitments back home — trust me, I feel you! Take a step back and appreciate how far you’ve come, and the progress you’ve made. Don’t convince yourself that you are not doing enough or that you are not enough. Show yourself a little TLC:

1.Recognize your accomplishments. 

You’re an Aggie, and that in itself is a huge accomplishment. Remember your acceptance letter and how happy that made you feel? Don’t take it for granted. ​

2. Put yourself first

Putting yourself first is not selfish, sacrificing anything at the cost of your health or happiness ultimately ends up hurting you. If you are sick, don’t go to class. It you hate your job, quit. Your physical and mental health are your indicators, use those signals to take care of yourself. 

3. Prioritize your tasks.

I find it helpful to write a to-do list and stick it on an empty space on my laptop, it helps me keep track of the things I have to do. Remember, everyone has their way of organizing and getting things done, do what works for you. ​

4. Don’t compare yourself to others and don’t rush things.

No matter what society says, it’s okay if you are growing at a different pace than others. Everyone has a different timeline. Everything comes at its appointed time; be patient.  

5. Practice self-care

There’re so many ways to pamper oneself, but when you’re stressed you forget about all of them. Eat out with friends or order food to your door. Go shopping or to the arboretum, or to the sunflower field, or to the gym. Shower, light some candles, put on a face mask and watch a movie. Read a book or better yet download Libby and borrow books & audiobooks for free (plug plug, I recommend)… You get the point.

6. Do everything with joy

Don’t force yourself into things or do something only because someone else tells you to. Take courses that spark your interest, become a member of an organization you care about, and do what makes you happy. This journey is yours and no one else’s. 

Embrace the process; oftentimes we get swamped with work and we forget to sit down, reflect, and appreciate all that we have and all that we are. 

Layla is studying Psychology and Human Development at the University of California, Davis. She has many interests and enjoys being busy. She is currently working as a Student Manager at the UC Davis Bookstore and interning as an RA in Goodman's Lab. She is passionate about Youth Development, Career Advising, Marketing, Team Building, and Web Design. She hopes to give back to the community and empower the future generation of great leaders.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!