This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve been there. You’ve been there. We all know the feeling of frustration and dread for when things don’t seem to work out. Or perhaps you’re at a place where everything seems to have gone wrong. Whatever the reason, here is a list of five songs that have each been the one bright light in the multitude of times where I’ve felt like I’ve been surrounded by darkness.

woman sits on bed with laptop
Photo by Ivan Samkov from Pexels

1. Astronomy by Conan Gray

This song actually came out quite recently. The thing is – it had the perfect timing. I was going through a really terrifying time and this song was the one glimpse of light I clung to. Conan’s voice hits you right in the heartstrings; the melody, harmonies, and instrumental all blend together to create a wonderful constellation of good feelings. The space vibes are another plus to this beautiful song.

2. Via A71 by Robert Kino

I originally stumbled upon this hidden gem of a song on Spotify. This song is super cool because nearly the first minute includes random shuffling and other sounds that mimic the business of daily life. Then, right when those shuffling sounds subside, the song leads into such a catchy and heartwarming tune that is surely going to be stuck in your head for the whole day. This song radiates chill, sunny day vibes and it is the perfect turnaround for your mood if you’re ever feeling gloomy or sad.

3. Summertime by Public Library Commute

I’m going to be honest: this song is such a bop. It radiates slow-dancing and groovy vibes all around. This is the perfect song to listen to when you feel stuck and need a refresh. When I listen to this song, everything else seems to fall away and I get lost in the slow and soothing beats. Hopefully, it does the same for you too!

4. Butterfly by UMI

This song feels so angelically pleasing. The soothing voice of UMI, the slow beats that mimic the sound of a calm heart, and the relaxing instrumental all make me feel so at peace with the present. If your mind seems to be going a million miles an hour, this song is perfect to listen to in order to give you that temporary sense of peace with the world.

5. Liability by Lorde

Last, but certainly not least, is this classic by Lorde. Sometimes, when we feel like our life is falling apart, we just need a good cry and this song allows me to do exactly that – cry. Because one, crying is incredibly healthy and wo, allowing your feelings to bleed out along with a song is exactly what you need to feel better. Even if it doesn’t work with this song, I encourage you to find one that will allow you to feel something. I promise it’ll help (even if it doesn’t seem like it doesn’t at the current moment).

Girl sad at night
Photo by Garon Piceli from Pexels
Music has the ability to do so many beautiful things. I hope one of the above songs helped you get through anything that you’re faced with right now. And remember – feeling things is what makes you a beautiful human. And that is exactly what you are: a beautiful human doing beautiful things. You’ve got this. I’m rooting for you.

Catalina is currently a third-year English major at University of California, Davis. Her interests include watching Studio Ghibli movies, reading fantasy novels, listening to Broadway musicals, and cooking with her family. After graduation, Catalina would like to become a high school English teacher and share her love of storytelling with her future students. :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!