This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With all this extra time, I’ve seen moods shift in all sorts of ways. I’ve learned that my new normal took a long time for me to get used to, and that’s okay. Bottom line is, we are in the middle of a pandemic, so it’s okay to feel a lot of different emotions and be able to express them. If all you can do right now is survive, that’s okay.     

This culture that we’ve created is so toxic to convince people that they should always be doing something. When quarantine started, I found myself feeling slightly relieved. All the pressure is finally off, and I can breathe for a moment. In my head, this would consist of escaping to a place without responsibility, without judgement, and have a break from the life that could have been breaking me.

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Eventually though, I just got really sad. This culture of virtual hangouts made me nervous to talk to my own friends, and without that social interaction, I found my energy at an all-time low. At first, I tried to distract myself by being as productive as possible. For me, this started with excelling in my classes and putting all my efforts towards that. The schoolwork at first created inspiration and newfound time to dedicate to my education. After a while though, it just felt unbearable. For me at least, doing all this work without any breaks of things I found enjoyable made me miserable. How was I supposed to watch the news, for hours on end as my break, and then snap back to learning about cognitive development? It just didn’t seem right, and it made me even sadder.

The culture of being busy and preoccupied has created this idea that you should be working on your dream body, and working extra hard to be as active as possible. Of course while managing working or studying from home, everyone now has zero excuses to not be in the best shape of their life. As much as I understand the importance of physical activity (especially right now) the way the media portrays it doesn’t come across as caring for your well being during this pandemic. Even though the intentions might have been to help people stay active when it’s hard to, it creates a weight stigma and body shaming that can be so hurtful when people are already in isolation. The society we live in has created a cyclic process that never ends of us never being enough for ourselves, or each other.

This pandemic has caused a new normal for most people. At least for me, a slightly melancholic normal. But nonetheless, a normal that I’m doing my best to get through and take care of my mental and physical health. Whether you’re dealing with issues in eating habits, exercise habits, sleeping habits, or anything else, I just want you to know that it’s okay and no one expects anything of you right now (or at least shouldn’t) than to stay safe. If you’re trying your hardest, that’s enough right now. And I’m so sorry that our society and our culture continues to make people feel like their best isn’t enough, even in a national pandemic. 

scrabble sign
unsplash

Abby is a fourth year at the University of California, Davis majoring in Human Development and Psychology. She enjoys music, spending time with friends, the outdoors, and writing.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!