This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Every new year, I latch onto the unrealistic notion that I can instantly change my life once the calendar reaches January 1st. As if a switch flips and allows me to break old habits and fulfill new promises to myself. Once my effort to keep up with these shifts starts to waver, I become deflated and end up giving up. This year it can feel difficult to keep up with resolutions and rebranding due to the pandemic. I am trying to adapt to a new mindset to accomplish the personal goals that I have for myself. All while giving myself breaks so that I don’t throw out my plans after one slip-up.

weekly planner on ipad
Photo by Jess Bailey from Unsplash
I keep myself accountable for my academic and lifestyle ambitions with lists! My Notes app is my best friend.  I create everything in the app from an overall and daily to-do list to a plan for the books I want to read and the birthday presents I want to buy for my friends and families. It puts my mind at ease to see the things I want to do in writing. The satisfaction of finishing a project provides a motivational kick to continue forward.

Pride and Prejudice
Photo by Rawkkim from Unsplash
I am also trying to make switches to my daily life to keep myself from growing sick of the activities and workload. I spend most of my time in my house these days, so any small change to my schedule is important. These changes can involve trying a new exercise routine or cooking a new dish for my family. If I am lazy on a particular day or have a desperate need for a night of junk food and tv show binge-watching, I give myself those breaks. I used to feel guilty after taking an afternoon nap because I compared myself to other students and their endless grind. But at the end of the day, I know myself and what I need to live my best life! I’m focusing on my growth through the methods that work for me. By believing that I can stay consistent in my goals for the year and my Notes app in tow, I think I’ll be alright.

Zara Fatteh is a sophomore at University of California, Davis studying International Relations and Spanish. She enjoys traveling with her family, trying new restaurants, and reading as much as she can.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!