Wellness

Life During the COVID-19 Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

These past couple of weeks have been a couple of the craziest weeks that I have ever experienced. COVID-19 has struck our world faster than we were able to react, and has truly brought out the weaknesses in our systems and in ourselves. I watched as the world and my community tried to figure out the best way to deal with the shock of the novel Coronavirus, and many changes occurred very suddenly. Currently, many counties in California are on lockdown, businesses and restaurants are closed, and schools cancelled events and switched to an online format. I have watched the healthcare system become overwhelmed, and people become fearful and hysterical. It’s been difficult for many of us to try and cope with all of the changes that have been pushed upon us, but I know that we are going to get through this together. The best thing for us to do right now is to take this time to reflect, pick up new hobbies, and spend quality time with ourselves and our families. Here are a few positive things that you can do during this time to remain productive and to come out of this situation a better person than ever before.

1. Pick up a new hobby.

This is the perfect time to find a new hobby or to finally spend time on a hobby that you have been wanting to do for a while. Drawing, painting, playing the piano, knitting, writing, photography, cooking, and dancing are a few fun hobbies that you can try. Taking a couple of hours out of each day during the shutdown to practice a hobby can really help relax your mind, and is a great way to refine a newfound skill.

2. Do an at-home workout.

I have seen so many people dust off their old home gym equipment and do some at-home workouts to get back into shape. Because we have a bit more time now, it is the perfect time for us to keep our bodies active and healthy. It is important for not only our physical health, but also for our mental health to keep our bodies moving. There are a bunch of YouTube videos that you can find for all kinds of at-home workouts. Maybe you will find a new favorite form of working out!

Unsplash / Bruce Mars

3. Reinvent your style.

Because you’re at home, you may find that you have a ton of clothes in your closet that you haven’t seen in a long time. Go through some of your old stuff and put together new outfits! You can also try online shopping to create a new style for yourself. If there has been a type of style that you have been wanting to try for some time, this situation is perfect for you. You may also find some things that you can donate or some things that you can pass onto some friends or family members.

4. Stay in touch with friends online.

Technology today is such a beautiful thing because we can connect with people from anywhere! I miss my friends so much, but I know that I can FaceTime them or message them at any time. You can even schedule lunch dates or arts and crafts dates with your friends through FaceTime, or workout together. You don’t have to hide away in your room all alone all day long because you can sit at the kitchen table and FaceTime or Skype with your best friends!

5. Organize and clean your space.

If we have learned anything from this situation, it’s that we need to be more hygienic. This is the best time to clean up your room and organize all of your clothes and trinkets. A clean space is always a more positive one, and since you are going to be spending a bit of time in your room, you might as well make it the way you want it to be. We should also take the time to organize our minds and do some self-reflecting. Cleaning your space and also your mind will be very good for your mental health, and will help you grow throughout this process.

MacBook Air beside gold-colored study lamp and spiral books
Arnel Hasanovic / Unsplash

This lockdown is not going to be easy. It can be very scary listening to the news, as updates on new cases and deaths come out every day. Taking time to allow yourself to implement positive things into your life at this time is essential, and you will thank yourself for it later. We will get through this together, and I know that we can come out of this situation better than ever, as individuals and as a society.

Amazon

Hannah is studying Communications and Professional Writing at UC Davis. She is eager to share her experiences and lifestyle tips and tricks to motivate and inspire her peers to lead a healthy, balanced life! In her free time, Hannah enjoys playing with her dog, singing, and grabbing bubble tea with friends!
Drew Watson studies English at UC Davis. She enjoys reading young adult fantasy, listening to old school R&B, and watching cartoons! Drew is interested in a career in education, or editing/publishing after college, and is hoping to explore all of her options while at Davis.