An Introvert’s Guide to Happy Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We’ve all traded in a rent-free life with Mom and Dad for a chance to build a promising future. Whether you’re just beginning or continuing your studies at UC Davis, you’ve probably contended with this dilemma: where the heck am I going to live? Financial and transportation concerns are important to weigh in, but for now, let’s focus on social life!

For freshmen it’s obvious, right?  Dorms are the perfect tools for forming variations of “the buddy.” In no time, you’ll have a study buddy, lunch buddy, hang-out buddy, and gym buddy. From so much mingling, you can learn a lot about campus life. But for some, socializing can become overwhelming. In that case, a dorm may not be a suitable place to live.  

If you’re anything like me, you’ve known from the start that off-campus life is your cup of tea. Even if you endured a year or two of dorm life, you may be traumatized enough to want to live the remainder of your college years in peaceful seclusion. I speak from experience when I say that trying too hard to escape the burdens of dorms can leave you feeling more lonely than at peace. Off-campus life done right, however, can give you the perfect blend of privacy and social time.

First, live in a student apartment complex. Whether in north, south, east, west, central, or downtown Davis, a student apartment can give you a sense of separation from the people you interact with daily while living in the dorms: classmates, RA’s, and campus faculty. At the same time, you can live among fellow Aggies who understand that cramming for midterms comes before neighborly small talk. Unlike dorm Aggies though, apartment Aggies abide by stricter boundaries. Excessive visits and rowdiness are two less things you have to worry about.  

Second, take advantage of roommate programs. You might be hesitant to live with roommates again or for the first time. I can sense those spine-chilling reality TV moments flashing before your eyes. Fear not- personal bubbles are much easier to maintain in an apartment than in a dorm room. If you’re not in the mood to introduce yourself to your housemate’s guests, you can hide in your very own room until they leave. Some complexes, like University Village and the Rambles, even give you your own bathroom. That’s right. You don’t have to hear anyone ask, “are you almost done?” or  “can I borrow that?”

If you’re a freshman, it’s very likely your roommates will be older and can give you the low-down on campus life. Even if you aren’t a freshman, roommates can still inform you about campus events. They are also people you can form lasting friendships with. Let’s face it–Skyping with your parents isn’t always going to give you the social fix that you crave. Sorry Mom and Dad!

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.