This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the end of the quarter approaches, we all feel a little more stressed and anxious about school. Being more prone to burnout, we are more likely to lose motivation and fall into study slumps. I am no exception to that — during the last few weeks of each quarter, I am either close to burning out or being stuck in a study slump. It always starts with a feeling of desperation, as I watch my work pile up and slowly fall behind from all my classes. Eventually, I become trapped in a study slump, where I have zero motivation to study, struggle to focus on assignments, and constantly feel exhausted. Here are some tips that I have collected from my four years in college!

Take a day (or two) off

When you are feeling stuck in a study slump, the first thing you need to do is take a day off. You might be thinking to yourself: why would I take a day off when I have so much to do? The reason is your brain needs to rest in order to fully function. Without the proper rest, you could be studying for hours and still not be able to process all the things that you studied. If you keep overworking your brain, you will be stuck in your study slump over and over again. Taking a break from studying for a day or two not only gives your brain and body the rest it needs, but it also increases your productivity and attention span; so you can be more productive and work smarter after your break.  

Change your studying environment 

Given that the environment that you study in affects your mood, motivation, and productivity level, having a new change of scenery might benefit you and your studies. Depending on your preferences, you can always try to study at different places: the library, cafes, restaurants, or even in a park. By trying something new and changing a part of your study routine, it can improve your mood and encourage you to become more productive. In addition, if you do not want to study outside, you can always change your study space at home. This can be achieved by changing the way your table is set up, rearranging the layout of your room, adding new room decorations, etc. This can also boost creativity and encourage positive feelings, and ultimately lift you out of your study slump. 

Find moments in your day to relax 

I understand that the life of a college student is very hectic: having to balance school, work, extracurricular activities, and personal life can be very difficult. But no matter how busy you are, you should always take 10-15 minutes from your busy schedule to relax and take care of yourself. Self-care and relaxation come in many forms, and it looks different for everyone. It can be an activity that you know will help you destress or a hobby of yours that will bring you joy. I highly recommend long bubble baths, reading books, and grabbing coffee with friends. By prioritizing yourself and self-care, it helps to prevent burnouts and keeps you feeling rejuvenated. Whether you are stuck in a study slump or not, this is an important thing to keep doing in order to increase mental wellness, reduce stress, and improve the ability to focus. 

Study slumps are very common for college students, as there is so much pressure to get a good grade and work hard. Hence, don’t feel bad about yourself if you are currently in a study slump or are burnt out. These are some of the most important tips that I have learned from my college experience so far, and I hope you all will find these tips helpful too!

Iris Au

UCD '22

Iris is studying Communications and Economics at the University of California, Davis. She is currently a senior and is a big fan of cheesy rom-coms and cooking shows. She hopes to pursue a future career in public relations or marketing after graduating college.