How to Strengthen Your Eyebrow Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“When your eyebrows are on point, your life is on point.” – Ancient beauty proverb

Okay, maybe not, but having a good eyebrow day is still a great feeling. The way your brows look can really make a difference since they frame the top of your eyes. Filling in our eyebrows as a part of our makeup routine may have been around for a while, but it’s become a bigger trend within the past couple years!

I’m really lazy with my makeup routine, but I’ve noticed that by putting on a light layer of foundation and brow gel, I already look made up without having to do anything else. My current favorite is the Benefit’s Gimme Brow gel in light brown. It tidies up all the hairs in a neat line while giving me a subtle, fuller look. And since it’s a light brown color (my brows are black) it makes my eyebrows clean but not dramatic! There’s also one in dark brown for those who want a color closer to black. It’s a small bottle but it’s lasted me for almost seven months — definitely worth the buy.

Blond eyebrows? No problem. There are plenty of products for blond eyebrow hair, take a look at this list. Light brown or beige may look the best to darken the brows for a more natural look. Light brown usually accomodates to your original brow color since it’s meant to blend into your skin.

There are many products for eyebrows, like gel, pen, marker, and powder, so you can play around and see which one you like best. Once you find some products, experiement with a couple of these eyebrow shapes!

High Arch

You can’t talk about high arches without mentioning Kylie Jenner! Dramatic high arches are pretty in right now. Draw your eyebrows into an upside-down U and then pluck and fill accordingly, tidying up the middle portion so you have that peak.

Medium Arch

Not ready for dramatic eyebrows yet but still want that peak? No worries. Try a medium arch instead, making a subtle yet still defined upside down V towards the end of your brows rather than the middle.                                                   

No Arch

You don’t even need an arch to keep your eyebrow game strong! This no arch look requires you to pluck and shape your eyebrows into a straight line. This is a big trend in Asia right now as people believe straight brows give off a more youthful appearance.

There you have it! Keep in mind that before you try playing with shapes, you might want to get your tweezers out and tidy up your eyebrows so you have a clean canvas to draw on. The fun with drawing and filling them in comes after. Here are some tips on how to keep your eyebrows neat:

Start with plucking wayward hair.

This is a no-brainer, but if you regularly fill in your brows (or want to start), it doesn’t look good to have baby eyebrow hair growing in the empty space your arch should be or at the top of your brows (more towards your forehead), or in the middle of both brows (the dreaded unibrow). Grab a pair of tweezers and gently pinpoint and pluck the hairs you don’t want as a part of your eyebrows. You’re going to have to do this regularly, maybe once every two weeks or so. I’ve found that by getting my eyebrows professionally waxed (Benefit’s brow counter at Macy’s) or threaded (try the place at U-Mall for $7!), I can see the general shape of what I want my brows to look like, and I just have to pluck a few hairs that aren’t part of my brow lines.

Don’t forget to moisturize.

This is true with any part of your face and body, but the skin under your brows gets sensitive and dry too! Regularly put lotion or some kind of moisturizer around your brow area to avoid flaky, irritated skin.

Wash off all of your eyebrow makeup thoroughly.

Eyebrow hair is still hair! Sometimes we forget to wash our eyebrows thoroughly, so rub them gently with makeup remover if they’re filled in or face soap if they’re not. An artist needs a clean canvas to start her masterpiece — much like us and our bare faces pre-makeup.

Tammy is an English and creative writing major and journalism minor at the University of California, Davis. Her love for writing comes from blogging about fun college experiences and creating her own fictional stories. In her spare time, she enjoys tinkering with her violin and guitar, watching reruns of Gossip Girl on Netflix, and fangirling over boy bands. 
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.